This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat!
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This Old Boat!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY JOE View Post
    i am parting out a sportcraft 27 off shore if you need any parts
    call me with your info Billy Joe, I am Mike and can be reached at 614 397 5834 I'm wanting to reinstall the hardtop on this boat and windshiel0d some one removed the hard top and put a soft top on it . also I can remove your hard top if needed from your boat

Blog Entries

I am thinking of using a 35 hp Evinrude on the 27 ft Sportcraft as a kicker motor and back up get home motor I have seen some using 9.9 and even 15 hp . would a 35 be to much motor any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    I am thinking of using a 35 hp Evinrude on the 27 ft Sportcraft as a kicker motor and back up get home motor I have seen some using 9.9 and even 15 hp . would a 35 be to much motor any thoughts ?
    I think a 35 would be perfect. It has a strong charging system. It will have enough guts for an uphill troll in bigger wave conditions and will troll slow enough to pull meat. If it turns out to be a hair fast at idle in flat conditions, just keep a small bag at the ready. Personally, I like to keep the RPM's up a little, the battery charge is better and it keeps the plugs clean on a two stroke and to keep oil pressure up if you use a four stroke. Beware, mounting and rigging can get expensive. You will also have to make sure your transom is in good condition.

Blog Entries

Thanks the transom is being replaced and with that plan on reinforcing it in the middle where the motor will be mounted I have not decided on strg yet any suggestions?

Thanks the transom is being replaced and with that plan on reinforcing it in the middle where the motor will be mounted I have not decided on strg yet any suggestions?
    Hydraulic is the only way to go.

Blog Entries

ok I will look at hydraulic strg. I was thinking of mounting the kicker motor strg wheel and control on the starboard side behind drivers seat so you can control the motor and speed from a position that gives you control of the boat and still get to rods and nets I was thinking also when single handed docking the Aux outboard motor may provide better docking if its windy I have heard inboards are a little tricky when its windy so the outboard will act like a stern thruster to bring me around when needed . I really like the idea of a 35 hp as a back up motor to get home with out needing to use my sea tow insurance also

Blog Entries

Ok a little up date on the old boat was up to Meinke marina Tuesday to check on repairs and get the water drained from the block first A note of importance when you pull the plug on your block to drain it be sure you stick a small pick or probe into the block to remove any sediment that may be holding water in the water jackets I learned this some years ago the hard way. So got all the water out and was able to find the over heating problem the previous owner had installed a new Pocket pump with the intake reversed so was not drawing any fresh water in easy fix . However there was oil in the pump so the Oil cooler is defective another easy fix new oil cooler heat exchanger so so far so good . want to do a shout out to Andy at Meinke for his super help in getting the boat shrink wrapped on short notice did an awesome job cant give the folks at Meinke enough commendation for there help.
    I hope every one has a safe winter lets stay healthy both Spiritual , Physical and Mental so we all can get back on the lake in the spring

.This Old Boat!-l1600-4-jpgThis Old Boat!-l1600-1-jpg

Ok a little up date on the old boat was up to Meinke marina Tuesday to check on repairs and get the water drained from the block first A note of importance when you pull the plug on your block to drain it be sure you stick a small pick or probe into the block to remove any sediment that may be holding water in the water jackets I learned this some years ago the hard way. So got all the water out and was able to find the over heating problem the previous owner had installed a new Pocket pump with the intake reversed so was not drawing any fresh water in easy fix . However there was oil in the pump so the Oil cooler is defective another easy fix new oil cooler heat exchanger so so far so good . want to do a shout out to Andy at Meinke for his super help in getting the boat shrink wrapped on short notice did an awesome job cant give the folks at Meinke enough commendation for there help.
    I hope every one has a safe winter lets stay healthy both Spiritual , Physical and Mental so we all can get back on the lake in the spring

.This Old Boat!-l1600-4-jpgThis Old Boat!-l1600-1-jpg
    You will enjoy it next year for sure. !

you are just down 10 Docks from me, look forward to meeting you, I see you from Columbus, I am 4 miles away from Marina , I will keep a eye on it for you when you are home.
    There are great people docked around you/ Us many of us have been there a long time and are all friends .

Blog Entries

Thanks Capt Tacky appreciate the the help in the future I like all of us are looking forward to the spring .
    Question are there some spots close to us that are good for the early jig bite I have made the run east to the reefs but are there some closer spots ?
    Now that I have a boat there is a growing list of young fishermen and women who are chomping at the bit to go out and catch fish so I 'm thinking short productive trips at first to give them a good experience .

Thanks Capt Tacky appreciate the the help in the future I like all of us are looking forward to the spring .
    Question are there some spots close to us that are good for the early jig bite I have made the run east to the reefs but are there some closer spots ?
    Now that I have a boat there is a growing list of young fishermen and women who are chomping at the bit to go out and catch fish so I 'm thinking short productive trips at first to give them a good experience .
    Yes, many good areas , out front of Maumee Bay State Park, The Pair out by the Light House , West of Light House on the dumping Grounds plus other areas West.

Going East ,In Front of Crane Creek all the way down to Davis Bessee .

You will not have a problem getting to Jigging area from Meinke Marina all short runs , just follow all of the Boats ! but all depends on the weather .