This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat!
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This Old Boat!

Blog Entries

Cool This Old Boat!

Greetings all

Been gone from the lake and this forum for several years now but have really enjoyed checking in from time to time reading the reports and advise from all you Avid Fishers and Catchers.

I recently bid and won a boat I was looking at on ebay a1982 27 foot Sportcraft w/ 454 inboard needs work but price was really good it did not come with a trailer so found one also on ebay that had a 1983 27 foot Sportcraft on it I also won that auction price was also good so now I have ended up with 2 sport crafts that have various issues. my plan is working on them over the winter and hopefully have a boat by spring .

If any of you are experienced with these boats and would like to share your words of wisdom I would be very great full. I will also enjoy sharing the info I have and will soon discover to reciprocate .

Both boats have had the stringers replace so that should not be an issue. I will be replacing the Transom on one as well as other fiberglass repairs , engine maintenance items and electronic up grades the other boat has some overheating issues poss water pump will find out more next week on this one it is in the water now so at least it floats .

Looking forward to some replies and good times thanks in advance
    Mobile MIke
    Last edited by MBLMIKE; 10-03-2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Best of luck, sounds like a intensive but fun project

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iowawalleye View Post
    Best of luck, sounds like a intensive but fun project
    Yes the best day of a boaters life is the first day and just gets better after that !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    Yes the best day of a boaters life is the first day and just gets better after that !
    This Old Boat!-l1600-jpg

as she sits just waiting for the chance to fish again

Blog Entries

Hello, Is the Fiberglass still sturdy enough after 38 years? I recall some years ago that FG deteriorates and becomes too brittle as it gets older, so much so, that it easily develops hairline cracks. I'm not writing this to scare you and I'm not a Chemistry PHD either. But I'm responding with this only with concern for safety.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hello, Is the Fiberglass still sturdy enough after 38 years? I recall some years ago that FG deteriorates and becomes too brittle as it gets older, so much so, that it easily develops hairline cracks. I'm not writing this to scare you and I'm not a Chemistry PHD either. But I'm responding with this only with concern for safety.
    Not sure what the condition of the hull is yet it is in the water currently . I do plan on doing a thorough safety inspection and survey before use. thanks that is good advise .

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

MBLMike,

I think those boats are very common charter boats, on LE, so I'd get in contact with the Lake Erie Charter Boat Association ( LECBA - Lake Erie Charter Boat Association ) and start the process of finding some captains that own and have used those boats. If you find one or a few no doubt they will provide a wealth of information, as they run them hard and experience a lot with them. Also, if you haven't already done so, look for online resources on those boats. There are owners forums, company websites with info and links to info, and various sites with info. Sometimes it takes some time to find good and/or "off the main pages" info sources. But once you find them, they are great resources.

I just did a a good amount of work on a fiberglass 1978 sailboat all summer, so I can tell you, if you don't already know, it's a long process and making sure you are doing things right before you start is very important. Take the time to find good resources for info. Then progress as you learn from info you get.

Blog Entries

Thanks West Basin for the info about 10 years ago I restored a 22 foot Skiffcraft I live close to the factory where they still build these had a great time talking to and getting the info on these boats . I was going to do another one but decided to do a Sportcraft instead I have been on many charters with these since the 80s and always wanted one so here we go!
    ( I guess I have been watching to many you tube videos on boat restorations )
    Last edited by MBLMIKE; 10-04-2020 at 02:05 AM. Reason: to long

Blog Entries

Any one dock at Meinke marina?

We do.......