This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat!
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This Old Boat!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk2700 View Post
    Maximum unpermitted width is 8' 6". It's good that your boat is under 10'. You won't require signage but it will have to be flagged at four corners and at it's widest point if you somehow get a permit. You can roll the dice and go but be warned. The Ohio DOT guys both local and state are not stupid. They deal with this stuff every day and are very good at estimating width and weight. If they do catch you they WILL write the appropriate ticket and won't let you move until you have the correct permit or have a licensed company(if you can find one that will pull your trailer) hook your trailer and move your boat. I'm not trying to scare anyone but what I've stated are real possibilities. With this being said, your chances of getting caught are probably slim, but there is a chance. If you decide to go without a permit DON"T flag it. I am a retired truck driver and I do know the laws. Oh, by the way Ohio is the only state that operates this way on the permits.
    So it took a about 1 hour but was able to get through the ODOT website and found the following information if you are looking to get a permit to haul your boat with a beam of over 8 foot 6 inches call them at 614-351-2300 ask for Amber she will walk you through the on line system to set up your odot id so future permits can be obtained easily the cheapest for my needs was a one way 5 day permit that allows me to move the boat from the marina to my shop in Columbus with in a 5 day period , the cost is $75.00 also there is a form called a OS-32 which is actually just a proof of liability form stating $500,000 in liability insurance or more and valid from the dates you are traveling . OBTW the trailer I got with the boat was made by Owens & Sons Marine Inc. a company in Fla. that has been building the Aluminum slide on trailer for about 4 decades I talked to Doug he was able to give me just about every inch of the build specs on this trailer that was built in 1983 and is sending me upgraded torsion axles and other items to rebuild the trailer for a safe journey . Well so far so good will keep you all posted with the actual move

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    So it took a about 1 hour but was able to get through the ODOT website and found the following information if you are looking to get a permit to haul your boat with a beam of over 8 foot 6 inches call them at 614-351-2300 ask for Amber she will walk you through the on line system to set up your odot id so future permits can be obtained easily the cheapest for my needs was a one way 5 day permit that allows me to move the boat from the marina to my shop in Columbus with in a 5 day period , the cost is $75.00 also there is a form called a OS-32 which is actually just a proof of liability form stating $500,000 in liability insurance or more and valid from the dates you are traveling . OBTW the trailer I got with the boat was made by Owens & Sons Marine Inc. a company in Fla. that has been building the Aluminum slide on trailer for about 4 decades I talked to Doug he was able to give me just about every inch of the build specs on this trailer that was built in 1983 and is sending me upgraded torsion axles and other items to rebuild the trailer for a safe journey . Well so far so good will keep you all posted with the actual move

What is your Business ??

You Going back to Meinke Next Year G2 ? I am at G33 look forward to meeting you.

Blog Entries

Default Mobile Mikes Auto Electric and Service

Quote Originally Posted by captain tacky View Post
    What is your Business ??

You Going back to Meinke Next Year G2 ? I am at G33 look forward to meeting you.
    I do automotive /truck repairs and have a small shop in Columbus Ohio Capt.
    And yes I do plan on keeping the G2 dock if possible.

That's where I ran into my problem. My insurance co would not fill out the OS 32. Once they found out that I had a boat that required a permit to haul, they sent me the exclusion statement which was already in my policy. They wanted me to buy a commercial policy(at double the price) before they would fill out the paperwork. I wound up having to change insurance companies. Hope you have better luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk2700 View Post
    That's where I ran into my problem. My insurance co would not fill out the OS 32. Once they found out that I had a boat that required a permit to haul, they sent me the exclusion statement which was already in my policy. They wanted me to buy a commercial policy(at double the price) before they would fill out the paperwork. I wound up having to change insurance companies. Hope you have better luck.
    Your probably right if your insurance company wont work with you on this I would change company on all my policies house car boat life etc. You would have to say to them if your insuring my boat and trailer don't you think it is going to be moved around a little ?

I do automotive /truck repairs and have a small shop in Columbus Ohio Capt.
    And yes I do plan on keeping the G2 dock if possible.
    I also own a Business, Sell and Upfit Police - Emergency - Construction - Public Service -Etc Vehicles with Lights - Siren - Equipment , If you se the Truck that says Sound Off Signal on it just down from you that will be Me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by captain tacky View Post
    I also own a Business, Sell and Upfit Police - Emergency - Construction - Public Service -Etc Vehicles with Lights - Siren - Equipment , If you se the Truck that says Sound Off Signal on it just down from you that will be Me
    Ok will look for you

Your probably right if your insurance company wont work with you on this I would change company on all my policies house car boat life etc. You would have to say to them if your insuring my boat and trailer don't you think it is going to be moved around a little ?
    They had no problem with me trailering a boat as long as it didn't require a over width/height/weight permit. They said that wouldn't take the additional risk. Even the fact that I was a professional driver didn't matter. My CDL also made it impossible for me to play "dumb" if I decided go without a permit. If you go through all the BS to get a permit see if the offer annual cab card. That's for the same vehicle/trailer/object that is under 10' for a calendar year. Michigan had them for a long time foe 35 bucks a year, but then they raised them to where it didn't pay for me to buy one. Our one time misc. permit is 15.00 for three days IIRC.

While we are discussing insurance, a passing car avoided two deer on I80/90, hitting my truck and Lund boat as I was headed to Port Clinton this past Spring. Both total loss, truck covered no problem, no one hurt, but Lund Boat another story. Rather than discuss long details, make sure your boat is covered for “actual retail replacement value”, cost $20-$30 additional. I had “actual cash value” lost a lot of money thinking I was insured for “like” replacement boat.
    Just a small tweak on insurance coverage will save you a bunch. My new Lund boat is insured for full retail Replacement value if same scenario happens. It’s replaced by $$ agreed by insurance company and myself. PLUS all rods reels, electronics,Ulterra, whole shoot’n match. (Ie: previous Insurance company insured boat and motor only, no 9.9 kicker, or trolling motor or fish finder.) are now fully insured. Cost was very low.
    Lastly, read the fine print, I spent over 1 hour discussing my Erie Lund with agent, coming up with every scenario I could think of, being shown in small print, I’m sufficiently covered. Insurance companies today on “claims“, you are handed over to estimator, many times have no clue on boats, or equipment. Do not know the difference between a Shimano line counter reel or a Zebco reel. Check your insurance policy this winter. Do not repeat my mistake.
    My apology for getting off subject....Herk
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Herkimer View Post
    While we are discussing insurance, a passing car avoided two deer on I80/90, hitting my truck and Lund boat as I was headed to Port Clinton this past Spring. Both total loss, truck covered no problem, no one hurt, but Lund Boat another story. Rather than discuss long details, make sure your boat is covered for “actual retail replacement value”, cost $20-$30 additional. I had “actual cash value” lost a lot of money thinking I was insured for “like” replacement boat.
    Just a small tweak on insurance coverage will save you a bunch. My new Lund boat is insured for full retail Replacement value if same scenario happens. It’s replaced by $$ agreed by insurance company and myself. PLUS all rods reels, electronics,Ulterra, whole shoot’n match. (Ie: previous Insurance company insured boat and motor only, no 9.9 kicker, or trolling motor or fish finder.) are now fully insured. Cost was very low.
    Lastly, read the fine print, I spent over 1 hour discussing my Erie Lund with agent, coming up with every scenario I could think of, being shown in small print, I’m sufficiently covered. Insurance companies today on “claims“, you are handed over to estimator, many times have no clue on boats, or equipment. Do not know the difference between a Shimano line counter reel or a Zebco reel. Check your insurance policy this winter. Do not repeat my mistake.
    My apology for getting off subject....Herk
    No apologies needed that is exactly why I have always appreciated this site not just for the fishing facts but the incite from different fisherman and women who share there experience. I am currently thinking of the need to check another insurance company myself , lake Erie boats and trailers and equipment like rods and reels are a specialized coverage and most agents I have seen do not have the knowledge and experience to cover these costly items that we have worked hard to get, and when a unexpected thing like a deer running out in front of you causes you to loose your rig which for an extra $30.00 would have been covered that's just poor due diligence on the agents part not yours .