This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat! This Old Boat!
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This Old Boat!

Blog Entries

Ok the boat was at G2 so if all goes well looking to keep it there next year

we are at B 26

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    Any one dock at Meinke marina?
    Yes Meinke West , good Marina , Deep Water been there 30 Years same Dock

I am at G33 .

Blog Entries

Default Thanks for the reply capt meinke west

Quote Originally Posted by captain tacky View Post
    Yes Meinke West , good Marina , Deep Water been there 30 Years same Dock
    I was at the east location several years ago very good people both locations look . forward to next year hope to be back at G2 dock I will be up there next week to winterize boat and put tires on trailer for the ride back to the shop in Columbus does any one know how hard it is to get a over 10 ft odot permit for highway use ?

i am parting out a sportcraft 27 off shore if you need any parts

I was at the east location several years ago very good people both locations look . forward to next year hope to be back at G2 dock I will be up there next week to winterize boat and put tires on trailer for the ride back to the shop in Columbus does any one know how hard it is to get a over 10 ft odot permit for highway use ?
    It's been a while since I tried but I wound up not being able to get one. The state wants a copy of your insurance binder filled out by your ins co. and you must have a certain amount of liability coverage. My ins co. would not do it unless I would and could buy a commercial policy. Once my ins co. found out I had the over width boat, they excluded it frond my policy. I just sold the same boat last year and the guy who bought it was taking it to Erie PA. He couldn't get a permit for the same reason. he took the chance and went. He made it. Maybe someone on here has a way around it.

Look me up next year, G 33 have a Deck over the Water that spans G-32 and G 33 just down from you, have a Searay Amberjack 270 just pulled it Saturday -

the 27 Sportcraft is actually only 9 ' 6 ' wide I had one about 15 years ago , if you have a Good Trailer with Good Tires you will be fine going to Columbus .Semi Trailers are 9' Wide so you will only be 6" more... people tow them all over .

Quote Originally Posted by captain tacky View Post
    Look me up next year, G 33 have a Deck over the Water that spans G-32 and G 33 just down from you, have a Searay Amberjack 270 just pulled it Saturday -

the 27 Sportcraft is actually only 9 ' 6 ' wide I had one about 15 years ago , if you have a Good Trailer with Good Tires you will be fine going to Columbus .Semi Trailers are 9' Wide so you will only be 6" more... people tow them all over .

Maximum unpermitted width is 8' 6". It's good that your boat is under 10'. You won't require signage but it will have to be flagged at four corners and at it's widest point if you somehow get a permit. You can roll the dice and go but be warned. The Ohio DOT guys both local and state are not stupid. They deal with this stuff every day and are very good at estimating width and weight. If they do catch you they WILL write the appropriate ticket and won't let you move until you have the correct permit or have a licensed company(if you can find one that will pull your trailer) hook your trailer and move your boat. I'm not trying to scare anyone but what I've stated are real possibilities. With this being said, your chances of getting caught are probably slim, but there is a chance. If you decide to go without a permit DON"T flag it. I am a retired truck driver and I do know the laws. Oh, by the way Ohio is the only state that operates this way on the permits.

Blog Entries

Default Permit odot safety staying legal !

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk2700 View Post
    Maximum unpermitted width is 8' 6". It's good that your boat is under 10'. You won't require signage but it will have to be flagged at four corners and at it's widest point if you somehow get a permit. You can roll the dice and go but be warned. The Ohio DOT guys both local and state are not stupid. They deal with this stuff every day and are very good at estimating width and weight. If they do catch you they WILL write the appropriate ticket and won't let you move until you have the correct permit or have a licensed company(if you can find one that will pull your trailer) hook your trailer and move your boat. I'm not trying to scare anyone but what I've stated are real possibilities. With this being said, your chances of getting caught are probably slim, but there is a chance. If you decide to go without a permit DON"T flag it. I am a retired truck driver and I do know the laws. Oh, by the way Ohio is the only state that operates this way on the permits.
    Thanks for the good advise I enjoy boating to much to have a problem with the authorities ruin my day so will take your good advise. I will post the steps taken to obtain a permit here and costs when completed this site is always a good source of fishing and boating info .
    Last edited by MBLMIKE; 10-17-2020 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling