Perch fishing truth Perch fishing truth Perch fishing truth Perch fishing truth
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This years perch catching is better than last year, but not like a "normal" year. Went to A&J's for bait and stood in line from about 6;30 to 7:40, was quite busy!! At least 30 buckets in front of me waiting for minnows and more when I left. Went with a neighbor Saturday who limited on Wednesday with 90, had 19 for 3 people the same spot and 3 areas on Thursday, he did not go out Friday, we caught 29 South and SE of G with 4 people on Saturday. Another Neighbor on Thursday caught 9 with a crew of 2, Limited Friday crew of 2 South of Green. and caught 30 something Saturday with a crew of 3. Both Captains said the sonar looked the same all days fished, bait was the same, weather was close to the same, so maybe the Perch gods needed something else?

Beautiful day on the lake, but the perching could have been better! (The cake was good but the icing was lacking!)

I will say the marks I saw last weekend on Sunday the 20 were better than I saw all of Saturday and Sunday 26 and 27. I knew the NE blow had them dizzy, but once the weather steadied, game on. And it helped that live emeralds were available all last week Monday through Friday. At least now I know and others too that not everybody was killing it. Maybe next time, hopefully this weekend. I'm only trying to get another limit before the winter.
    Rickerd

Default perching

Quote Originally Posted by rickerd View Post
    I will say the marks I saw last weekend on Sunday the 20 were better than I saw all of Saturday and Sunday 26 and 27. I knew the NE blow had them dizzy, but once the weather steadied, game on. And it helped that live emeralds were available all last week Monday through Friday. At least now I know and others too that not everybody was killing it. Maybe next time, hopefully this weekend. I'm only trying to get another limit before the winter.
    Rickerd
    i fish the Canadian side which has been slow so far,one technique i learned by accident was to bait up and drop line down ,leave bail open for a minute or so then crank reel to close bail and slowly lift and feel for weight.Different days the fish seem to like different action,sometimes a little drag across the bottom,sometimes a slight lift of the rod will do it.I use a "skipper 9" rig that works very well for me,if we have 3 people in the boat we all try something diferent til we pick up a pattern that works that day,hope this helps.

I am planning another trip next week and gonna try to squeeze one in the week after that. Perch or walleye not sure what it will be. Nine perch don't seem like it's worth the 3 hour drive but the wife loves sitting anchored and holding her pole so hopefully we'll find them and they will be hungry this time. I love just being out on the water and my two dachshunds do to. But some action would be nice.

Great post. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by labrat View Post
    i fish the Canadian side which has been slow so far,one technique i learned by accident was to bait up and drop line down ,leave bail open for a minute or so then crank reel to close bail and slowly lift and feel for weight.Different days the fish seem to like different action,sometimes a little drag across the bottom,sometimes a slight lift of the rod will do it.I use a "skipper 9" rig that works very well for me,if we have 3 people in the boat we all try something diferent til we pick up a pattern that works that day,hope this helps.
    That is probably most important advice...figure out what is the bite for that day! It sure changes.

I agree with West Basin's method as described 100%. It is an art one will develop over time. This means a bunch of trips out!

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    I like many others on this site have been fishing the Lake for at least 30 years. When it comes to yellow perch fishing, by far the most important thing, other than having perch under the boat, is learning
    the catching technique.

I can't count how many times I've been out with others on the boat and out caught them 5-1 even 10 -1. It's just as much an art as it is a science. Learning / developing the "feel" takes a lot of experience for most anglers. Like any activity some people pick it up a lot quicker than others. Perch don't usually "strike" the bait, like a largemouth bass or northern pike. They typically "suck" it in, and often very lightly. The rigs used (spreaders, crappie rigs) also often leave slack line, they don't keep a tight line to the bait like walleye fishing. It is real easy to miss yellow perch bites.

The basic technique is as follows: Drop your bait down to the bottom at a moderate pace until you get within a few feet of the bottom. Then slow down so you can feel the weight just touch the bottom. Then reel up about a foot of line, an amount to keep your bait just off the bottom (depending on what rig you are using). As the boat rocks, the bait will move from on the bottom to above it. Slack line at the bait when the rock is going down, tight line at the bait when going up. The perch typically "hit" the bait when the bait isn't moving, when there is slack line at the bait. You have to learn to time this. Just when you think the slack line period is starting or just after, very slowly raise your pole about 8-10 inches and "feel" for any kind of additional weight or resistance on the line. If you feel any, do a quick very short hook set snap on your pole (use your wrist, not your whole arm). Only about 6-8 inches up. If you then feel the perch (a little more weight) on the line, real up. If not, slowly let the bait back down and repeat. If the bite that day is real light, sometimes I will very slowly raise the pole during the slack line period and feel for that tiny bit of extra weight.

What you are really doing is controlling how hard the rig lead weight is hitting the bottom on the up and down movement. You don't want it slamming the bottom, just touch it. The lighter you can make the lead weight hit the bottom, the better. With experience you can even learn to keep the weight just off the bottom on the down motion, not actually touching it. It's all about setting up the slack line period of a second or two and then feeling for the soft bite.

Over time you will learn the difference between the feel weight of no perch on the bait and the feel weight of a perch bringing the bait into it's mouth. Sometimes it is so... so... subtle and light. There are times I really don't feel anything, I just "know" there is one there.

If you have decent waves, you need to balance out the up / down motion by moving the pole to absorb most of the wave action on the bait. You need to establish that same short time difference of slack line and tight line while keeping the bait on or near the bottom. You don't want the bait going up and down with the waves, that produces too much movement. The idea is to present the minnow for a second or two with slack line so the perch will "inhale" it. Then get some tighter line so you can feel it.

All this will take time to learn. You need to really pay attention all the time if you want to learn. Experiment. Eventually you'll get the "knack" and will continue to improve and master it.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

8. Default

I really struggled in the 30 mph winds Wednesday. Had to fish very very close to shore & only picked up 3

Went out a bit late Sat the 26th family trip was off Camp perry at "H" can picked up 10 perch, went back out the 27th same spot we picked up 32, 1 baby wally, 2 small White Perch, 4 gobies. A bit choppy in the morning but it tamed down we were in the 23' Proline just a bit south of the two head boats that were close together.
    Was wondering if anyone has heard of using crushed oyster shell as a form of attractant while perch a jerking?

“Crushed oyster shells” Yes, we call it magic dust or stones, been using for over 20 year. 2 of my neighbors went out Thursday and caught their limit in 3 hours. Will see what happens with the solunar peaking out.