Walleye casting? Walleye casting? Walleye casting? Walleye casting?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walleye casting?

Hello all. Long time reader of this forum, finally got around to creating a profile. Love all the reports you guys and gals have provided over the years. I live three hours away and its nice to have a little current info for a starting point when I come up.
    Anyhow, I am making what will prob be my last trip up for the year this week. Going to do some perch fishing for sure but was thinking about trying for some walleye in the evenings. I have all the trolling gear, but really prefer to catch them casting. Haven't really done much in the fall tho. Caught some up near the shoals the last couple years, and I've heard that bite can be pretty good. Was wondering if anyone has tried casting for eyes lately. I know most guys are trolling or perch fishing, but if anyone has had any luck, I'd appreciate a report. Thanks in advance.

The walleye are biting on the shoals. Try gull island shoal and Kelley’s Island shoal. Try different depths and drifts until you find them. Don’t be afraid to try the shallow water. I catch fish from 5 feet to 18 feet of wate on the shoals. Good luck!

We have not tried casting yet this year,but we have caught a lot of walleye casting in past seasons.We would start catching them on the reefs in mid September and thru October.We would for sure cast on Gull Island Shoal and the East side of Pelee to catch our fish.Unfortunately,the Canadians have closed the border to US boaters this year so far.I would try Gull,Kellies Island and the rocks on the east side of Kellies.The most fish we caught were in the depths of 18-12fow when we drifted over the reefs.Good luck fishing.

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a try and let you all know how I do. Gotta get thru this last day at work...

This is the time to be casting on the rocks.Heard from some guys that did well casting for walleye on Gull island reef last week.Last year during first week of October myself and one other guy,got a limit casting on gull in around 2hrs.Were targeting 12-18fow and the fish were right on the bottom.Made short casts with Mayflys rig with .5oz sinker and bounce like a jig.The bites feel just like a hang up on a rock.Braid is best due to feeling bites and getting off snags.

Are you using night crawler's

Yes,you use nightcrawler and we use #4 gold Colorado blade.But guys use and catch with weight forward Erie dearie and Tom's walleye or gold nugget too.

So you make a cast and let it sink to bottom and bounce it off the rocks back to boat. I have a bunch of Erie deary's from the 70s haven't used them for 45 years. I suppose gold blades for them is better to.

Also wondering about what time of day is better.

I'm also following this thread. I will be heading up on the 8th. My boat is not set up for trolling yet so I would also like to get on some walleyes casting. I will be launching out of Mazurik. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.