Leader Lenght? Leader Lenght? Leader Lenght? Leader Lenght?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader Lenght?

Default Leader Lenght?

When using crank baits like a Bandit how long do you make your leader?

Most people just tie on a swivel clip and clip the bandit to that. Currently many are using a snap/clip on weight about 50 ft up from the lure. Not sure where you’d need a leader unless you were trolling an in-line weight and then you’d probably stay within the length of the rod for handling purposes.

Don't need a leader for your crank.Just attach to snap at end of line.Some people like to put weight right at end of line then run a leader to crank.If doing that my leaders are Seaguar 20lb flourocarbon at 7ft long.With swivel on one end that goes to weight or dipsey and snap on other end that goes to lure.Some people like to add a 2oz sinker to line either 20 or 50 ft from lure also.No leader needed when you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moldman View Post
    When using crank baits like a Bandit how long do you make your leader?
    Moldman, I use to use fluorocarbon leaders for trolling cranks, because I always did it when fishing through the ice.. But to be honest, I must have gotten lazy but anymore I just use a quality Duo-lock snap or SPRO swivel tied right to my Power Pro.

When I use a trutrip, dipsey,or tadpole I still use them- 5 ft. But I seem to catch just as well directly to my hookup on the Power Pro braid with the connections directly to lures like I mentioned.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 09-12-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I’ve always used a 6’ leader even when trolling cranks. I just think it helps with line shy fish.

I tie all my rods, braid or mono with a swivel/clip. I am going to add a bead when i retie them all next time because folks keep reeling them into the tip of my rods and it has opened the clip a few times and i lost my leader and bandit. I tie 3' 20lb fluorocarbon leaders with a duo lock clip for running crank baits, this keeps the line twist down when you hook into a spinning fish like a white bass or sheep head or a weird hooked walleye. This allows me to change the leader when it is getting nicked up by teeth and not have to mess with my calibrated spooled line. I run all of my inline weights with offshore OR16 snap weights all 2oz. I do not mix weight sizes on a side of the boat, again for consistency, same lead same weight size adjust depth with line out after 50' longest leads farthest away from boat. For crank baits run the exact same lead at 50', 20' whatever you prefer for all of them, this keeps everything consistent and prevents tangles. If you are going to run baits with weights and without weights on the same side the ones without weights must be farthest from the boat. The line with a weight always runs a steeper dive and will catch the line without a weight every time. On dipsy divers and jets I run a 6' 20lb fluorocarbon leader with a duo lock clip. The swivel on the dipsy and jet handles line twist. On bottom bouncers i run a 4' 20lb fluorocarbon leader and tie all of my harnesses about a foot long. The swivel on the bouncer handles twist and i put a duo lock clip on the harness end. This also makes storing and changing the harnesses much easier as they are not so long. If running harnesses up in the water column with inline weight i just use the offshore OR16 snap weights, sometimes i mix up the lead from 4' to 20' to see if it makes a difference and it makes it much easier to pick up and move and to store the rods when running in or out, just remove the snap and hook up and go. Just some things I do pick your style and roll with it.
    Capt Sam "Porkchop" Downing
    [email protected]
    www.porkchopexpresscharters.com
    www.facebook.com/captwalleye/
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.
    OFFERING 2 TO 6 PERSON CHARTERS FOR WALLEYE AND PERCH

Great idea on the bead Capt Sam. I have done exactly what you said has happened. I will now be using a bead.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Thanks Sam on that thorough explanation on how you fish.We do pretty much the same for how we are set up to troll.Lost a few rigs this year and just looked down at that duo lock clip that was open wondering how the hell that thing opened up.Now I know.My rookies been reeling them up too far.Will be watching that more closely.Great job on catching those kings on Ontario.Enjoyed those pics.

Great post Captain Porkchop. I have a fluorocarbon question for you. What knot have you found to be the best for tying terminal tackle? Thanks.

Great post Capt. Porkchop. What knot have you found works best for tying terminal tackle to fluorocarbon? Thanks