What are the walleye eating? What are the walleye eating? What are the walleye eating? What are the walleye eating?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by hageman View Post
    I spent over 30 years professionally engaged in multiple fisheries studies and running ice charters on Lake Erie and have opened and checked thousands of walleye stomachs. I never saw mussels in any of the walleyes that I checked for stomach contents on the clock or while filleting them for myself or customer's catches. However, I have seen Zebra (or Quagga) mussels in the stomachs of thousands of other Lake Erie fish species including: Freshwater drum (Sheepshead), Lake whitefish, Yellow perch, Pumpkinseed sunfish, Bluegill, Smallmouth bass, Round goby, Channel catfish- but never Walleye. When Freshwater drum eat mussels, their skin often takes on a shade of gold, compared to the usual silver/gray hue. If there were indeed mussel shells in the walleye stomachs, my theory is that they are inadvertently eating mussels as they inhale Round gobies from the rocks, but not deliberately seeking them, like the other species mentioned are known to do. Take pictures next time!
    Are you goin to get back into ice charters. Got my largest eye fishing with you several years ago. Loved to lady where you put me up with she had grate stories.

When I retired from OSU, I tried for 2 years to continue by renting a house each winter, but we didn't get ice. It is too expensive and logistically difficult to run my business model without living there. I don't have enough storage space, am not there to throw a net when the shiners are around, my primary Bed & Breakfast now closes for the winter, my helpers wanted to move on and I wanted to fish more. So, I sold off the surplus shanties and duplicate gear and now just go there all winter to fun-fish. If we get ice, this winter and well into the future will be fantastic. I am glad to have helped you score on your personal best. I lost mine at the hole! She probably would have gone 13-lbs+.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    My buddy John said several times Sat that that was a pretty fish.I wasn't paying attention but looked like had a more yellow tint to their color.We were also east of kellies.
    itsbob, Did you guys run bandits? Did you have a lot of foul hooked fish? We lost quite a few dragging them in sideways. I usually don't run weight in front of bandits...but the fish were pretty far down in 46fow. Next trip East I think I'm going to run harnesses or J7s behind 3oz and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Prkr314 View Post
    itsbob, Did you guys run bandits? Did you have a lot of foul hooked fish? We lost quite a few dragging them in sideways. I usually don't run weight in front of bandits...but the fish were pretty far down in 46fow. Next trip East I think I'm going to run harnesses or J7s behind 3oz and see what happens.
    Yeah,prkr 314 we did have a few foul hooked walleye that came in sideways Saturday.One walleye about 20" long took forever to get in.Thought we had snagged a log.Could barely reel it in.Plus at least 2 others.As for harnesses,good luck.I have tried to use harnesses several times this year and last and been disappointed in how they caught.My spoons and spoon harnesses beat them every time.But let us know how they do.

My neighbor has been trolling worm harnesses with success. You just have to get them deep enough for the fish to bite.

Is it illegal to keep a foul-hooked walleye?

Blog Entries

Yes. It will land you a fine and you will forfeit your rod and reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted33 View Post
    Yes. It will land you a fine and you will forfeit your rod and reel.

Good to know. Don’t think I’ve caught any foul hooked walleye this year but a LOT of the WB/WP I’ve caught have been foul hooked for some reason.