Opinons please anchor, fishfinder Opinons please anchor, fishfinder Opinons please anchor, fishfinder Opinons please anchor, fishfinder

Default Opinons please anchor, fishfinder

Hey guys WAS out today perching not much luck. Had trouble with anchor holding. I have a starcraft fishmaster 196 What size/ style anchor do I need? I fish lake erie, breast bay and port clinton. Also want to up grade my fiahfinder/ gps willing to spend 1000.00. Which ones work well for you.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mitch

I had the same problem couple weeks ago. For a soft bottom being sand or mud You need to invest in a fluke style anchor to fit the length of your boat with at least 4 feet of chain connected to anchor and the rule of thumb is 5 feet of anchor rope x the depth of water your in. I heard the waves was pretty bad today probably be hard for anything to hold. I don't go out in anything past 2 footers I only have an 18 foot boat. I'll be trying my new anchor out Wednesday for the first time. Get as much advise as you can. I find a lot of good research here and on YouTube. Good luck.

Chain on anchor line. The longer the chain the better. Chain helps anchor lay flat on bottom for a good set. No less then 150 ft. of anchor line ( called rode). You may not need it on a clam day but when waves increase you will need to play out more line. It is safest to anchor from bow!! A10 lb. fluke anchor is a good start. Chain & anchor will be heavy to lift. If you have room a windlass is great to have. Best type of anchor line is pillted cost more then stranded but easy to handle. Good fishing. Stay safe!!

If your anchor is big enough, MORE chain!

I'm a Lowrance guy on FF. Have an older HDS 7 works great. Side and down scan for other lakes rarely use those on Erie. May upgrade soon, I would go to a Simrad which is the Lowrance salt water unit. Definitely a chirp transducer. I for sure want a touch screen. If you only fish Erie you could probably skip the side and down scan and go with a larger screen unless you smallmouth fish a lot. On thing, you'll never wish you would have bought a smaller screen. Sort of like building a barn, no body ever wish they built smaller.

I have several garmins, including dog collars. I also use 9” garmins at work on the headboats. I bought the 93sv echomap black fri last yr for about $600 at cabelas. We also have one lowrance at work. The garmins are the most user friendly by far imho. That being said; you might be ahead to buy two 7” for about the same money and network/ split them

Captainshotgun do you run head boats out? If so out of where?

I love the lowrance, simrad, bg , all basiclly very similar....same family. But the down scan is great in funding targets especially near bottom like perch........get a setup with a big enough transducer and get it set so it actually reads fish while running on plane.........nothing worse than driving over fish and not knowing
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC10 View Post
    Captainshotgun do you run head boats out? If so out of where?
    I sent you a pm

Wanted to share this experience about my anchor Wednesday.

Fluke anchor works great. I'm gonna add another 3 feet of chain and 50 feet of rope Wich will give me 150 feet of rope and 5 feet of chain. Took a little to long to grab the bottom but when it did it held.