Planning a trip this fall Planning a trip this fall Planning a trip this fall Planning a trip this fall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Planning a trip this fall

I am new to Erie fishing and would like to plan a trip this fall for walleye . Is mid September a good time to fish around Kelleys or is it better later . Also what method of fishing works good later in the year and how far out do you normally have to go ? Any advice would be helpful

Later the better it gets I mainly run deep bandits and throw in some P-10s with snap weights and also husky deep jerks. East of Kelly’s in 32-40’ of water is normally good the first part of November if not early

Yes I'd wait till at least mid October or November . October Huron dumping grounds is usually good North of Kelly's in November just remember to slow down 1.5 mph or less and I mostly run deep bandits

I've had good luck the last week of September for several years. The weather is still pretty warm and I've found fish two ways.

East of Kellys (3-5 miles, 50 ft depth) look on your sonar for bait balls with walleyes beneath. I troll dipsy's and spoons just above the walleye marks. Closer to Kellys (35-40 fow) you can't see them on the sonar but fish have been right on the bottom. Drift fish with crawler harnesses or troll baits right on the bottom.

Good Luck!
    CaptKen
    "Lucky Luna" Channel 68
    SeaRay Amberjack 290
    Twin Mag 350s/v-drives
    Simrad NSX 12
    Simrad AP44 Autopilot
    FishHawk X2

We have started catching walleye " on the rocks" beginning late September and in thru the fall.You can catch walleye casting on the reefs.Gull and kellies island and the Canadian reefs east side of pelee if Canada was open.The perch fishing has usually been good in the fall.As the water cools,fish move back west and start staging for the winter off Huron.So trolling with cranks in deeper water catches good fish again.

Thanks for all the feedback I might just have to take a couple trip

Default Mid September Walleye fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Joedog View Post
    Yes I'd wait till at least mid October or November . October Huron dumping grounds is usually good North of Kelly's in November just remember to slow down 1.5 mph or less and I mostly run deep bandits
    I will arrive to Port Clinton on the 15th of September for walleye fishing. Could I get some advise on where to start? I will bring lead core and snap weights and I have bandits, husky jerks, and reef runners. Would Kelly’s be a good place to start or closer to Huron and Vermillion? Thanks, any advice would be much appreciated!

Kelly shoals area in 30’ would be a good starting point

I would think if wanting to troll for walleye mid Sept, Huron or vermilion would probably be better than around kellies.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    I would think if wanting to troll for walleye mid Sept, Huron or vermilion would probably be better than around kellies.
    Thanks, would you suggest using snap weights about 40 foot with bandits for starters or is live bait more productive?