Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020 Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020 Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020 Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020

Default Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020

Headed to the "Fisherman's Wharf" this morning for some minnows and dropped off some brownies for the guys. The Goldies were the perfect size...not too big and not too small.

I was meeting some repeat customers, Nancy and Mary, who were driving up from the south, near Columbus, at Catawba for a 6:30 launch. They showed up a little early, so we got a little head start and headed to D Can first to see if we could jerk up some perch there. I gave it 20 minutes with little show for it, so we moved to the north side of Green. There were, what I thought were good marks, but they weren't biting. We had 4 in the box after 1/2 hour.

I got impatient again, so we moved to the east side of Rattlesnake Island in 28 feet of water. Again, good marks, but little action. I was beginning to think it was just a time of day thing, and at some point, during the morning they would turn on. But, I got impatient again, so we moved.

Found some hard bottom and good marks NW of the ferry dock on Middle Bass in 30 feet of water. We caught some white perch, 4 rock bass, and one more yellow perch there. I loved the spot, but didn't think it was going to happen there, so we moved....again.

This time, we moved out to the east side of South Bass and set up on more good marks. The bottom was too mushy to me, so we moved one more time.

It was a small move to the south, out in front of the monument in 29' of water. The Helix was lit up with a gazillion fish on the bottom. I was hoping they were what we were after, so we got busy fishing. Well, we did manage to catch 70 yellow perch there, but we also probably caught three or four times as many white perch there too. The seagulls were happy with that ratio, since they were the right size to slide down their throats. So, with a quick whack in the head, (so they float), the white perch were tossed to the hungry Seagulls looking for an easy meal.

Mary managed to land an 8 pound catfish on her little ultralight rod too, and her friend back home loves catfish, so they kept that one to give to her.

Tomorrow....I'll be back to walleye fishing with Chuck Jones and his two buddies. The wind forecast right now, for tomorrow, is 9-10mph from the NE for the first 5 hours, and then it's supposed to pick up. Hopefully, that forecast doesn't go up anymore by morning...we shall see.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020-mary-nancy-8_12_2020b-jpg Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020-mary-nancy-8_12_2020c-jpg Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020-mary-nancy-8_12_2020d-jpg Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020-mary-nancy-8_12_2020e-jpg Fishing with Nancy and Mary (Perch) 8/12/2020-mary-nancy-8_12_2020f-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Nice to see a few rock bass grew up catching them and if I remember correctly they are great table fair.

I caught one last week. I never really ever fished for them. Usually got one fishing for something else. It was pretty tasty.

Thank you for your honest reports Juls. My friend and I did the same trip as you last Friday evening. We started at D can with 50 other boats, only one. Moved to West of Green, 2 more. Move to East of Rattlesnake for a slow drift the last hour of daylight for one more and a big catfish. That is why its called fishing right?

We did get out on Sunday morning in 20 fow about 1.5 miles NE of portage river and got 50 nice ones. The first 30 came in 90 mins then a slow pick for the last 20 for 2 hours.

I love seeing those rock bass and catching them. They are good eating too. My dad and I used to catch a stringer full of them and gills and a few bass in Duck Lake, MI. There were days we had 2-4 on the stringer 11-12 inches long. They would fight harder than the larger bass.
    Rickerd
    Last edited by rickerd; 08-14-2020 at 09:30 AM.

There’s a type of rock bass that eats zebra and quagga mussels. Wonder if those are that type. You’d think anything that’s a natural predator of those mussels would thrive in the lake.