Trolling Way East of Kellies Trolling Way East of Kellies Trolling Way East of Kellies Trolling Way East of Kellies

Default Trolling Way East of Kellies

We were planning to fish Sat 8/8 and the forcast called for a beautifull day.I talked to two captains the day before and the said they both were also trolling for walleye Saturday.They both gave me numbers pretty close together,but when I asked what program one captain ran last time out,he said all 14 rods had out weighted bandits.I asked why,and he said the spoons only catching junk and shorts.
    I arrived at Johns' place at the CIC 6am Saturday and assembled all the gear and headed to those numbers NE of Kellies.Had some small rollers still coming at us from previous day NE wind.Arrived at our spot and set out 2 spoon harnesses on dipsey and 4 bandits on inline boards with 2oz weight.But,the two captains were not in sight.Maybe we beat them to a spot or stopped short to check out some marks.There was a few boats around us but the sonar did not have good marks.Caught a couple of small white perch on our spoons,but after 40 min without a keeper sent out a text to both captains.John wanted to pick up and head to bouy but I had heard that that cold water had shut off that bite.One captain said he was south of me and had 7 fish.Gave me numbers of a hot bite and said he was thinking of moving there.I did the math and told John that spot was 5miles south and 11miles east from where we were.He said lets go and off we went.The captain decided to move there too.
    The program that worked for us was purple bandits on the 4 boards at 140,two at 150 and 170.All with 2oz weight after 50ft.Had the two dipseys out also and they continued to catch some junk.Eventually we did pick up 2 keepers on one dipsey and the other was changed out to a shallow lip crank that caught one keeper.Took about 2.5hrs to get our 12 that weight 28lbs and I do not believe we caught a short all day.We did lose like 4 fish near the boat too.
    Had a long ride home and as we were nearing Catawba point noticed a lot of boats around.It was 1:20pm and then realized all the boats had Trump flags and were headed to port Clinton.Then as arrived at entrance to CIC had a boat jam with a line of boats headed out of CIC and launching at the Catawba ramp to head to the rally.Saw the flotilla of over a thousand boats several miles long ride past the CIC as we sat at the CIC lakefront.Great way to end the day.

Forgot to mention,that I finally changed the front black OR18 release to the orange one.Had the orange releases in my box and had watched the utube video on how to twist the line and put in release,but was reluctant to try/change.I put them on both outside boards and they worked really well.I was able to pop the mono out of release every time except once and the board stayed on the line and swang around the inside board and much easier to bring in.I did wrap the line around the back red release with the pin though.Going to have to change out the other boards now.Hope they work as well in rougher water.

Glad you found the fish Bob. I was there too and found the Trump parade to be a pita! Not sure why so many boaters and fishermen are proud to support someone who has been gutting funding to the Great Lakes

Quote from fact-check.org

“Trump’s announcement was an about-face from the proposed 2020 budget he released just over two weeks ago, and which called for slashing the Great Lakes restoration budget by 90 percent. It was the third year in a row the president’s budget has proposed gutting federal funding for the program. To date, Congress has ignored those proposed cuts.“

You made the correct call not running to the buoy. Small pack of boats around there but the marks on FF were essentially nonexistent. Crazy how things can change in a matter of weeks. Thanks for the detailed report 👍🏼

Was hard to believe that cool down caused the water around the Bouy to cool down that much and turn off that bite.We were lucky to have some information on that bite moving south.As for our other fact checker...better than gutting police funding.

Don’t believe everything you hear about the bite....or a tv ad. 😉

I don't watch/read any fake news anymore.Only Tucker on Fox every night tells truthfully news.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    I don't watch/read any fake news anymore.Only Tucker on Fox every night tells truthfully news.
    I agree with Jules comment on a different post. We probably shouldn’t go down this path. It’s a fishing site and I have been a member here longer than most and have many friends. I’d like to keep it that way.