Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020 Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020 Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020 Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020

Default Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020

Got up at 2:30, grabbed a cup of coffee, and headed to the back door with Dexter right on my heels. We went out on the back deck and took in the quiet morning. As he sniffed around the yard for all the telltale signs of nightly critters that roamed last night, I checked the wind and weather forecast for the day.

The sky was clear again, temps were in the low 60's and the wind was light out of the south. I enjoyed the quiet for a while before I needed another cup of coffee, then went back into the house to take care of morning routines of getting ready to leave.

I left the house earlier than yesterday, because I knew Mike and Billy would probably be there early again. I hit Mazurik's a little after 5AM and readied the boat, changed out leaders on the dipsey rods, and picked some different Bandit colors to try this morning. I took off a Chrome Barbie and one of the two Metallic Muffins and added Purple Mist and Blue Chrome to the lineup.

Mike and Billy showed up a little before 5:30, so we launched 15 minutes earlier than yesterday and headed out in the darker conditions. Because the wind was "off shore" the lake was rippled, but not wavy within the first few miles of land. The sky, much like yesterday, started out with a purple and red glow off to the east, which progressively got more intense as the Sun rose from below the horizon.

We set up out in 38 feet of water, out in front of Cedar Point. The Ulterra was pointed in a northeasterly direction and the kicker pushed us along at 2.5-2.7mph.
    Two Bandits were set out on each side first. The port side ran 2oz snap weights at 50/75 (total of 125' of line out) and 50/70 (total: 120), and the starboard side ran the 3oz weights at 50/75 and 50/63.

The dipsies were the same program as before. The 1 settings were at 54 and 60 back and the 3 settings were at 65 and 94 back. (The 65 caught one nice one, but that was it, so it was eventually changed to run deeper at 80-100 back. It was changed a lot and caught fish on all the numbers.

The fish came in spurts....so it wasn't a fast and furious kind of bite today, and landed 16 nice keepers. It was fun though, and the smaller walleye, sheephead, and big white bass kept them busy reeling in and setting out lines. They did much better today than they did the first day, and I hardly had to do anything except chirp up when I saw a potential tangle or problem about to happen. lol

They said they had a great time, learned a lot, and will be back again next season, so that makes me happy.

I'm off tomorrow...so, it's time to walk the beasty, cut the grass, and clean the boat and house....it never ends....deep sigh.

My next trip will be on Tuesday with Jeff Overs and his Father.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020-mike-moss-bill-8_9_202a-jpg Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020-mike-moss-bill-8_9_2020c-jpg Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020-mike-moss-bill-8_9_2020d-jpg Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020-mike-moss-bill-8_9_2020e-jpg Fishing Day Two with Mike and Billy 8/9/2020-mike-moss-bill-8_9_2020f-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

We set up out in 38 feet of water, out in front of Cedar Point. The Ulterra was pointed in a northeasterly direction and the kicker pushed us along at 2.5-2.7mph.
    Two Bandits were set out on each side first. The port side ran 2oz snap weights at 50/75 (total of 125' of line out) and 50/70 (total: 120), and the starboard side ran the 3oz weights at 50/75 and 50/63.

Hi Juls, thanks for your updates. Always very helpful. I have a novice question...You said that you ran 2oz snap weights 50/75 (for 125' total line out). I'm looking the the precision trolling app...does that mean that you were running about 29' down? With that said, do you try to keep the bandits about 5' above where you mark fish? Just trying to understand the calculations and method. Thanks in advance.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Framemaster View Post
    Hi Juls, thanks for your updates. Always very helpful. I have a novice question...You said that you ran 2oz snap weights 50/75 (for 125' total line out). I'm looking the the precision trolling app...does that mean that you were running about 29' down? With that said, do you try to keep the bandits about 5' above where you mark fish? Just trying to understand the calculations and method. Thanks in advance.
    -Mike
    Yes, the 2oz were running at 29' and the Bandits with 3oz with the same amount of line out were a little deeper. Exactly how deep? I couldn't tell you...it's not on the app. I just know it's going to be deeper.

No, I do not say to myself, "I need to stay 5' above those fish". I do however, stay above them. The most active fish will not be hunkered on the bottom. The cleaner the water, the further they will come up for it, because they can see it. There are fish all through the water column on most days.

I'll start with something high in the water column, in the mid-range, and deep. Whatever produces the first few fish will get me to change things up to that depth on most of the rods.

It's just a puzzle you have to put together every morning. Let the fish tell you what they want. There is no magic formula, because fish change with the conditions every day (unless it's stable weather for a few days, with the same conditions every day, then you can pretty much keep doing what you did the day before to keep catching them, until something in the puzzle changes...like wind direction, wind speed, and current, etc...then, you start over putting the puzzle together again).

Hope this helps...
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Very helpful. I really appreciate your insight!
    -Mike