New to the area (Huron OH), could use some shore fishing advice to land some keepers New to the area (Huron OH), could use some shore fishing advice to land some keepers New to the area (Huron OH), could use some shore fishing advice to land some keepers New to the area (Huron OH), could use some shore fishing advice to land some keepers

Default New to the area (Huron OH), could use some shore fishing advice to land some keepers

I'll be traveling up to Huron OH this weekend and it seems like the perfect chance to introduce a few friends to fishing. We're staying near the Huron pier/lighthouse and I've heard it's a great place to throw some lines in the water. Problem is, like a kid in a candy store, I can't pick what to go for! More than anything my goal is to have something to throw in the pan each evening. But I don't have the experience/knowledge to know what's most likely to hit and be big enough to keep from the shore at this time of year in the area.
    Should I throw some stink bait on a treble and look for channel cats? Or shoot for perch/bass instead? Maybe hook up a spinner or crank bait and go straight for walleye?

Any advice no matter how basic would be appreciated. I'll ask the same question at the Cranberry bait shop east of town as well to see what a local thinks, but I'm curious what y'all would recommend.

Thanks!

You might do better asking on the central basin Forum rather than this western basin One

Crap. Good catch! Didn't even notice that I was in the wrong one, thanks for the heads up!

Lots of people post Huron info on the western basin site too.Actually think more than central.Seams like central info starts at lorain,Avon and Cleveland areas.

He tried posting in the Central Basin and they told him to post here. Even though Huron is Central Basin.

I don't have a ton of experience with shore fishing, at least not over the past 20 years. That said, there are plenty of options if you're not picky about what type of fish you're eating. I know you can catch a lot of white bass and some crappie off of fishing piers around the lake. Sandusky Bay has several public accesses and offers world-class channel cat fishing (pretty sure it was listed as a top-10 destination for channel cats in the country several times). You can use anything from stink baits and punch baits to cut bait, shrimp, chicken livers or night crawlers. I've also been told that there are a lot of crappie in the creeks and marinas but I've never made much of an effort to target them myself. Hopefully someone can chime in and say if there are any areas that you would be able to catch some.

Lastly, I know that both walleye and perch can be caught from the shore at certain times of year but the majority of walleye fishing is several miles off shore right now so I'm not sure that targeting either species from shore is a viable option right now. I may be wrong, so don't quote me on that, but most of the shore fishing for walleye is done in the fall and typically around sunset and at night. I've read articles about catching walleye from fishing piers at night year-round though, so don't be afraid to try that if you really want some walleye. If the bait is there, the walleye will be as well.

I know that's not a ton of help but it's the best I can do and hopefully it's better than nothing. Good luck!

There are not many posts here on shore fishing.Some guys will catch walleye from shore at night in the fall though.

There are public piers in lorain, huron, and Port Clinton. Sherod Park just w of Vermilion produces fish too. Huron pier is now posted but some are going out anyway. Its an Army Corps pier

I also seen Huron pier is posted but seem to be people fishing it. I always did good from it late at night the lights from the lighthouse pulls in baitfish IV caught limits of walleye year around white Bass, stealhead, catfish, perch. Always did well using blue fox super vibrex spinners.