7/28 Walleye 7/28 Walleye 7/28 Walleye 7/28 Walleye
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7/28 Walleye

I really appreciate the advice. I didnt buy any dipseys yet but might try them. Got jet diver and boards

I would buy 2 dipsey and run them with spoons initially.Use a 7ft leader and have rod holder tilted down so rod almost parallel with water.Braided line works best but mono works too.Ive run mono many times and do not run into problems.Buy a 8' snubber for your dipsey too.That will help with the dipsey not spin when you let it out slowly with the clicker on.

I will buy a couple dipseys. I have some 2 1/2 inch spoons I was going to try

I would get the size #1 dipsey with the rings in black color.Make two 7ft leaders.I make mine with 20lb test Seaguar fluorocarbon line with swivel on one end and clip on other.Swivel to dipsey clip to spoon.There are instructions and a depth chart in the dipsey you buy.We use stinger scorpion spoons,but most spoons will catch.Purple color has been working best lately and target 5-8ft off the bottom using that chart in package.I would start with a 3 setting.So on bottom of dipsey,loosen that screw and line that arrow up with R 3 and tighten up screw then on other go L 3.Keep that Phillips screwdriver in your pocket because the screw on the top of dipsey controls the tension to that metal arm.That tension has to be tight enough to keep that arm locked going the speed you are trolling...2.5mph now....and with boat rocking but light enough to unlock if a fish grabs your lure.I'm adjusting tension on mine all the time as conditions change or screw just moves on own.So the 3R setting goes on starboard and 3L goes to port.I like running mine in increments of 5 so the one side of boat is a 60 and the other side a 55.If get no bites move one up 5 to a 50 and the other down 5 to a 65.Keep moving one up and one down every 15min till starts catching.You also have to pull up every 15min to see if a short,junk or a keeper on the line.We have good fish on all the time that we can not see by action on rod tip.
    Let dipsey out slow with clicker.I would definitely buy an 8' snubber to dipsey to help dipsey from rotating when putting out.If dipsey rotates the line will prevent lever from releasing and a fish could get away and you would have to bring in dipsey pulling hard.Try and keep rod parallel to water when sitting in rodholder.It helps with depth control and seeing fish bites.

I really appreciate all the help. What do you mean by 8' snubber? I

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC10 View Post
    I really appreciate all the help. What do you mean by 8' snubber? I
    8 inch snubber.

I run dipsey for Eyes all year never use snubbers.

Its a rubber tube that is 8" long with a swivel on both ends.It acts like a shock absorber if a big fish like a steelhead hits it.You attach snubber to back of dipsey then leader on the snubber swivel.The spoon and leader have so little resistance that the dipsey can spin when letting line out.We used to have that problem till I put snubbers on my dipsey.The snubber has enough weight to pull that dipsey back and to keep from spinning.But keep that clicker on when letting out line anyway.

Itsbob are you a charter captain?

Lol,no Tony not a captain.Been fishing around the islands for past 40yrs.I know a few captains.Fish most every weekend during the season.No longer have a boat but have several friends who do have boats and go out with them.Good luck trying out new things trolling.That's how you learn.

Well I really appreciate all the advice. All I can do is try and learn. If I have any more questions I know where to go. Thanks again