Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020 Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020 Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020 Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020

Default Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020

Left the house at 5AM, and headed into town to gas up the boat and get the usual 2 small bags, and 1 large bag, of ice for the cooler. I hit Mazurik's at 5:20 and readied the boat while Dan and his son, Ryan, made their way there to meet me.Dan has been trying for two years to get this trip rescheduled. Every time his day would get close the weather would turn to crap and we couldn't go. Today, we finally got that chance. He and his brother-in-law had a trip with me the first time he fished with me.

We launched just before 6AM and headed northeast towards the lightening sky. There was a big puffy cloud on the horizon, whose edges were highlighted with such a bright light from the Sun that was rising from below it, that it looked like it had been hit by lightning and just stayed lit.
    It was in the direction I wanted to go, so I just kept watching and aiming for it. It was beautiful.

The wind was blowing 10-13 out of the NNE this morning...waves were 1-3's with some 4's thrown in for good measure here and there. We made our way up to the Canadian line and set up our presentation.

I start out with the program that worked last, which is what I've been reporting for almost 2 weeks now. There are some variations in line out on the dipsies from time to time, but I usually end up back where I started. 94-100 on the 3 setting and 54-70 on the 1 setting. Bandits are still working for me at 80 back unassisted, and just a little more so with the ones run 50/60 w/2oz, 50/75 w/2oz, and 50/60 w/3oz snap weights.

Speed varies, but my starting speed is typically 2.5mph.

The bigger walleye in the cooler always come from the baits behind the Off Shore boards.

Maybe I'll try running two different baits on one side tomorrow. I haven't had the BayRats out of the box yet this season....they caught some nice fish last year...so, maybe it's time to see if they can do the job too. I remember last year, the best lead was 125 back unassisted. Maybe I'll try one on a snap weight tomorrow.

Dan and Ryan had a good time this morning. It started out pretty slow, except for the sheephead and white perch...we had to really work for them. It wasn't a 3 hour run this morning like the last several trips out have been, and took all of allotted time. Eventually, we had our 3 person limit in the box with 15 minutes to spare, and we headed in.

They learned a lot and did a great job setting lines with boards and dipsies. Dan said he will be back again next year too, and that makes me happy!

Tomorrow, I am fishing with Dan Swickrath again. He fished with me back in early June, so he's familiar with how we will be fishing already.

The wind forecast for tomorrow is basically nonexistent, so I'm looking forward to an easy ride in the morning, and being able to troll in any direction I want.

Oh, yeah...that reminds me....

While we caught fish trolling in every direction, (except going into the waves, because I didn't do that), the best directions were either east to west or northeast to southwest. But, that was today...tomorrow it might change. I guess my point is, pay attention to that detail when you notice it happening. It's a "piece of the puzzle" that will help you catch more fish.

Stay tuned...

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020-dan-ryan-7_24_2020a-jpg Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020-dan-ryan-7_24_2020e-jpg Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020-dan-ryan-7_24_2020c-jpg Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020-dan-ryan-7_24_2020d-jpg Fishing with Dan and Ryan 7/24/2020-dan-ryan-7_24_2020lnkadyfqqrey5lomilsmaa-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks Juls.Planning to fish Sunday.Wrote down those updated leads.We run the same program you do.Those calm days make the run and controlling your trolling easier but the heat can become an issue.

Default Question

I have just started trying snap on weights this year. I have the precision trolling app but I only see info for 2oz weight. I see you used some 3oz with the 50/60 lead. What would be the approximate depth of that setup? I have both 2 and 3 oz to use. We did well Sunday with bandits and 2 oz 50/70 leads. Thanks for the all information you provide. You have helped me be more successful with trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeps it reel View Post
    I have just started trying snap on weights this year. I have the precision trolling app but I only see info for 2oz weight. I see you used some 3oz with the 50/60 lead. What would be the approximate depth of that setup? I have both 2 and 3 oz to use. We did well Sunday with bandits and 2 oz 50/70 leads. Thanks for the all information you provide. You have helped me be more successful with trolling.

I wouldn't know, exactly. I just know it was deeper than the 2oz with the same lead.

It worked well, so I just duplicated it when I put it back out....and, it caught more fish. Now, it's part of the line up to start. Two lines with 2oz and two lines with the 3 oz, when I'm only running 4 boards.

Sometimes, you just need to experiment a little. If it works, duplicate it. If it doesn't, change it.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    I wouldn't know, exactly. I just know it was deeper than the 2oz with the same lead.

It worked well, so I just duplicated it when I put it back out....and, it caught more fish. Now, it's part of the line up to start. Two lines with 2oz and two lines with the 3 oz, when I'm only running 4 boards.

Sometimes, you just need to experiment a little. If it works, duplicate it. If it doesn't, change it.
    BINGO! So much is centered around just using a 2 oz. weight, but varying weights expands your target area and improves your odds!

Capt. Jules I have a couple more questions to pick your brain. What do you mean when you say the dipseys on the 3 setting or 1 setting? And do you normally run boards on your bandits? Just trying to figure things out

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC10 View Post
    Capt. Jules I have a couple more questions to pick your brain. What do you mean when you say the dipseys on the 3 setting or 1 setting? And do you normally run boards on your bandits? Just trying to figure things out
    First, you would have to know what a dipsey is, or at least have seen one to know what that means.

On the back of a dipsey there is a dial...there's an arrow at the top. The zero is in the middle and it shows the numbers 1, 2, and 3 to the right and left of the zero. The settings on the right go out to the port side and the settings on the left go to the starboard side.

Zero is straight down...1 goes up and out to the side a little further...2 goes even further, and 3 goes even further. You just turn the dial to the setting you want and line it up with the arrow at the top.

So, when I say a "3 setting" or "1 setting" that means I have that number set on the back of the dipsey.

As for the Bandits....yes, it's a deep diving crank bait, so it goes behind a board to get it out away from the boat. I do not run deep diving cranks on dipsies....only shallow baits.

Hope that helps
    [email protected]

I really appreciate all the help and pointers. I have used the dipseys on a couple trips we took a charter out. I'm not to familiar with them though. I bought a couple jet divers so I'm gonna try those first. Following your posts I have learned quite a bit. Not to just put some of what ove heard to use in a couple weeks will be the fun part. Again thanks for taking the time to answer some questions