Chrome Day East of Kellys Chrome Day East of Kellys Chrome Day East of Kellys Chrome Day East of Kellys

Default Chrome Day East of Kellys

Hey there gang, Yesterday it shined just like the chrome on my 72 Torino.

What a nice day. Launched at Mazuricks around noonish and headed NE. Water was nice had a bit of chop in the trough but smooth enough I just let her eat. After a good long run I found myself over by the weather buoy area. Just a little bit North of where the line heads North East. There was not many folks around this time of day. I was seeing water depth of around 48 ft. Just a bit shallower than it was a mile or so South of there in my last post out of Huron at 51 ft..

Seeing how good the chrome Bandit worked for me the last time, I set out with the same rig. Rod 1 Chrome Bandit- 30ft. 3 oz clip weight plus 80 ft.
    Rod 2 Pink Lemonaide Bandit 30ft. 3.0z weight plus 50 ft. Moving about 2.2 Mph

I reached for rod number 3 and looked back to see that the Chrome Bandit board doing that wonderful dance that says nice fish on!
    Needless to say it was 24 incher. Hardly any time in the water. Set the rod back up and caught another shortly after. It was maybe 18 inches.. It was his lucky day. It was also on the Chrome also.

Had a dry spell for maybe 20 minutes. So I pulled in the pink lemonaide bandit and switched it out for the only other chrome bait a had. DDHJ. I just have a fondness for these particular lures for some reason. They just look good to me. At any rate I was marking fish at around 37 ft and I thought my Chrome Bandit rig might be a bit too deep so I kept the same 30- 50 setting I had been using with the rod number 2.

It was not long after that and bam that wonderful action on the planer board again. This time the on the DDHJ rod 2. Soon there after I had 4 fish taken on Rod Number 2 and a couple small ones on both set ups. This made 5 keepers in the box. This all in a small area I kept working. The sun was hot and the water was flat as can be. I inhaled a few bugs too. Darn things.

Well my spot dried up so I ventured out of my honey hole and trolled back towards a course heading back. Maybe 10 minutes in, the chrome Bandit did it again.

Anyhow all chrome and only 2 rods. Maybe 2.5 hours. I was thinking of taking a swim, but didn't. Headed back WOT on flat water, I just love that! Boat and trailer was unlatched in the garage and refilled with gas with a couple hours of daylight to spare. PS (The time is an hour slow on my Humminbird)

Excellent day.

Regards,

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images Chrome Day East of Kellys-20200714_162203-jpg 
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 07-15-2020 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

That sounds like a real nice day except for the heat! Good work.

Had a beautiful day to fish.The Bouy has been producing for a month already.A lot of fish in that deep water.Hope they stay a while longer.

Nice detailed reporting and sharing your exact honey hole for that day. Very nice. Team player👍🏻... I think that would be a hell of a haul for us from SBI.... had great marks near the miller boat line last evening (Island
    Side) but most everything caught except eyes.

Yes, it is a good run for sure. I think Bob (itsbob) runs from Catabwa area there and back. Its a run l would only be able to pull off with weather and water like we had, with my set up. I've ran it from Huron and from Mazuricks, used the same amount of fuel.. Visually, it looks like Vermillion is a shorter run to it. May try that some time when smooth sailing is forcasted.

Don't think weather Bouy much of a secret anymore.When fished there Sunday boats were spread out over a 5 mile area.So boat pressure not shutting down bite.The pack was actually somewhat centered a mile or two east of Bouy.Not sure how much longer fish will stay there till moves east.Is 17miles north of vermilion at 40/23.So you do not want to make that run unless you have a calm lake and no chance of storms.Especially in a small boat.We have fished there last 3wks.The fish we caught have been going progressively deeper.Probably due to warming water.We have also been catching more shorts and junk the last time there.We have also had to dodge perch nets west of there on run out.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Don't think weather Bouy much of a secret anymore.When fished there Sunday boats were spread out over a 5 mile area.So boat pressure not shutting down bite.The pack was actually somewhat centered a mile or two east of Bouy.Not sure how much longer fish will stay there till moves east.Is 17miles north of vermilion at 40/23.So you do not want to make that run unless you have a calm lake and no chance of storms.Especially in a small boat.We have fished there last 3wks.The fish we caught have been going progressively deeper.Probably due to warming water.We have also been catching more shorts and junk the last time there.We have also had to dodge perch nets west of there on run out.
    Bob I don't think it has been much of a secret for quite a few years. The best thing it has going for it is its distance.

I will be spending my time over around the islands or inshore around Huron. August is when I usually head to there anyhow I do good on Hot-n-Tots. September I start getting a different sort of itch, I think you do to? I may go for some perch also. rscott has been posting of some catches West.... I still have some more concrete work to do too in my shop.. At any rate I did get some good fishing in.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 07-15-2020 at 10:11 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium