Fishing with Bryan, Chad, and Travis Stanszyk 7/8-9/2020 Fishing with Bryan, Chad, and Travis Stanszyk 7/8-9/2020 Fishing with Bryan, Chad, and Travis Stanszyk 7/8-9/2020 Fishing with Bryan, Chad, and Travis Stanszyk 7/8-9/2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing with Bryan, Chad, and Travis Stanszyk 7/8-9/2020

I took the holiday weekend off, and wasn't back on the water until yesterday. I didn't report yesterday, because...well...I was hot and in a pissy mood...lol

Yesterday, I met Bryan and his two sons Chad and Travis, who came from PA, at Mazurik's at 5am. We launched at 5:15.

I thought it was going to be a light and variable wind when we launched, and the plan was to head to the weather buoy, but the wind was blowing out of the south at a good clip, and I decided against going 20 miles in those conditions. So, we went west instead. I didn't go far enough west though. I missed that good easy bite I heard about.

We picked a few here and there, but it was slow, and there was a lot of small fish and junk fish to pick through. Yesterday, to put it mildly, I found the motherload of sheephead. Uffda!

We only ended up with 7 keeper walleye and a catfish and the rest sheep, white perch, and white bass.

We were just west of Green working our way north to Rattlesnake.

At one point we left there to go to the east side of the Bass Islands and hit the middle out there between the NW corner of Kelly's, Lucy's, and Middle Island. While there are tempting marks out there...big ones too...most of those are big Sheephead, I think. We did catch a few walleye there too, but I think most are sheep, judging by how many we caught.

That was yesterday....today, was a new day. But, Travis had to go back to work, so it was only Bryan and Chad this morning.

We had left Mazurik's at 5:15 this morning, and headed NE at a nice cruising speed of 40mph. Since there wasn't any wind to speak of, the lake was flat. The 20 mile run out was smooth and only took us a 1/2 hour. The Helix marked fish from 35 to 41 feet down, so the Ulterra was deployed, along with the baby ETEC, and a course was set to head into the rising sun at a speed of 2.4-2.5mph.

Dipsies were set on the 3 setting at 124 back and the 0 setting at 65 back with spoons. We ran two Off Shore inline planers per side with Bandits. 100' and 80' back (unassisted) on the outside boards and 50/75 2oz on the two inside boards. Glare and Chrome Marvin were the higher bandits and Popsicle and a Chrome Popsicle were run behind the 2oz snapweights.

As they were catching fish, I turned to grab the net and found the most beautiful sunrise happening, and reached for my phone to take a picture...it wasn't where it was supposed to be. Just a slight panic set in as I looked around for it...and, then, realizing I left it in the truck I suddenly felt detached from the world and a little pissed off. lol
    I forgot my phone in the truck when we launched, because a towel had gotten thrown over it at some point, and I missed it. "Oh well", I thought, we would only be gone a couple hours at the most, and I could live that long without my phone.
    I was just mad that I didn't have anything to take pictures with today.

We had our limit in an hour and half this morning. We were the second boat up there (they must have gotten there in the dark), and then a flotilla showed up and there must have been at least 40-50 boats in the area by 7:30. We left and headed back at an even slower speed, and were back at the dock by 8:15. It was going to be another hot one today, so we were all glad to be back in early.

We transferred their fish to their cooler and I bid them a safe trip home.

Tomorrow's weather is going to be a little wet...maybe. They are calling for a chance of showers and thunderstorms, but I'm still looking at forecasts for what time that might happen.

I'm thinking we'll fish out of Catawba tomorrow, so if we have to make a run back in from an approaching storm...we can do it safely.

Tomorrow I have Ken Kreager and his family joining me. He and his son will fish, but I'm told the wife doesn't want to. (And, yes, before anyone calls/texts/emails me...I told him that she would have to have a fishing license just to be on the boat too.)

Stay tuned...

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Bryan, Chad, and Travis Stanszyk 7/8-9/2020-bryan-stanzyk-chad-travis-7_8_9_2020h2qep7sltxmnioqzfpozyg-jpg Fishing with Bryan, Chad, and Travis Stanszyk 7/8-9/2020-bryan-stanzyk-chad-travis-7_8_9_2020rrirlj46qnueojk3xtesaq-jpg Fishing with Bryan, Chad, and Travis Stanszyk 7/8-9/2020-bryan-stanzyk-chad-travis-7_8_9_20209qmuyqc3s3gzbys7h2cyqa-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

I was unaware that when fishing—everyone on the boat needed a license whether they were fishing or not. Great to know! Guess I’ve been dodging the bullet all these years.

Thanks Juls for the posts.our phones don't work out by the Bouy anyway.Remarkable you were already there by sunrise.Get a kick out of all the things you deal with being a captain.Miplaced phone,broken antenna,hooks in fingers and transmission sticking at launch.Last Friday out at Bouy,had a heavy fish on.Was ready to net it,when out of the depths appeared and long dark object.We caught a 5ft branch from a tree.It came off on its own before we could get a picture of it from the guy reeling it in.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyDays View Post
    I was unaware that when fishing—everyone on the boat needed a license whether they were fishing or not. Great to know! Guess I’ve been dodging the bullet all these years.
    Well, now I'm questioning it too. I've sent a message to an ODNR officer for confirmation, or not. I'll let you know when I find anything out.
    [email protected]

5. Default

Juls if he doesn't answer just call down to the Lake Erie office : 305 E Shoreline Dr, Sandusky, OH 44870

(419) 625-8062

I don't think she needs a license, but hey if she gets one maybe they can sweet talk her into reeling in an extra limit.

I know some of the coastal states do this for ocean guides, but never heard it in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern OH Percid angler View Post
    Juls if he doesn't answer just call down to the Lake Erie office : 305 E Shoreline Dr, Sandusky, OH 44870

(419) 625-8062

I don't think she needs a license, but hey if she gets one maybe they can sweet talk her into reeling in an extra limit.

I know some of the coastal states do this for ocean guides, but never heard it in Ohio.
    Thanks for the number....I called, but had to leave a message. They said someone would get back to me. They don't have anyone working in the office right now, as they are all working remotely.
    [email protected]

7. Default

glad to help....

Had that same discussion last Friday when headed out fishing.As pulling out of dock the lone woman asks her husband if he had bought a licence for her.He replied no.Then can't we say that she was not fishing.I told them the ODNR does not recognize that reason for not having a valid fishing liscenc when coming in from fishing.He bought one for her on his phone a few minutes later.

Interesting. Back in April when I couldn’t buy a license(Out of stater), I hitched a ride with a couple of buddies one day to help with the extreme boredom. I didn’t touch a rod, net or even the steering wheel. They ran 6 lines and kept 12 fish. For 2 days I scoured over the Revised Ohio Code for a definition of “fishing”. The hunting laws used to define what activities constitute hunting and required a license. Could not find any such definition or statement that you had to have a license to be on the boat. I’m not saying what the actual law is or is not. I would like to know where such a definition exists.

10. Default

Hopefully Juls gets an answer from the law guys. My understanding of the definition of fishing is the taking or attempt to take fish by angling. How riding in a boat could be proof of fishing seems a stretch to me. Fishing is fishing, the burden of proof is on the sate and I doubt they could prove being in the boat proved you were fishing. I don't think the law has any provision for guilt by association. If Juls doesn't get an answer, I will see what I can find out.