Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th

Sunday July 4th left the dock from Meinke's at 6:00 AM sharp headed out to the Gravel Pit. While on plane traveling at 25 mph, at approx .5 miles out motor bogged down and shut off, started back up and tried to proceed, bogged again. Emptied the fuel/water separator (on it's 2nd season) there was a lot of debris, started back up and headed back in to Lorraine's Landing, changed filters and headed back out, motor bogged two more times, I decided to call it a day. On the way in the motor bogged 3 more times, on the 3rd time it wouldn't start back up, had to call Boat US for a tow back in. On Saturday July 4, I was out at the Gravel Pit 5.5 miles out, and finished by 12:30, came in at 30 mph without an an issue, no bogging. missing or vibration, can anyone with past/similar experience offer any assistance?

I had the same problem on Friday I have a I/o and the problem was my plugs were fouled out on 4 cylinders changed the plugs and wires and took it back out and ran fine

I did my plugs in 2018, how often should they be changed?

change plugs every year.
    Also do you use gas with ethanol? All that crap you pulled out of filter is coming from tank or fuel lines. That sounds like fuel line breakdown to me because of gas with ethanol and letting it sit too long. Even if you use the fuel conditioners like star tron or sta bil, the ethanol will destroy your fuel lines. Let us know where this leads you.
    Rickerd

I had similar issues last year and it was the ethanol that had eaten away at the fuel lines and the broken off pieces of fuel lines moved up into the carbs. Had to get new carbs and fuel line last July/ August. Big $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by My Way View Post
    Sunday July 4th left the dock from Meinke's at 6:00 AM sharp headed out to the Gravel Pit. While on plane traveling at 25 mph, at approx .5 miles out motor bogged down and shut off, started back up and tried to proceed, bogged again. Emptied the fuel/water separator (on it's 2nd season) there was a lot of debris, started back up and headed back in to Lorraine's Landing, changed filters and headed back out, motor bogged two more times, I decided to call it a day. On the way in the motor bogged 3 more times, on the 3rd time it wouldn't start back up, had to call Boat US for a tow back in. On Saturday July 4, I was out at the Gravel Pit 5.5 miles out, and finished by 12:30, came in at 30 mph without an an issue, no bogging. missing or vibration, can anyone with past/similar experience offer any assistance?
    I would have to think it is a fuel delivery problem. Not sure if you have a kicker tank or not, but I would have a stow away tank with the correct fuel line plug for your engine. If the problem happens again, you could switch tanks and see if the problem cures itself. It would be one way to narrow down the problem. You did say the fuel separator had a lot of debris in it. This would help determine if the problem is tank side or engine side.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Hello. Ethanol or non-ethanol fuel? Ethanol fuel has cleaning agents in that will clean old tanks and move that junk towards the engine as well as deterioration of fuel lines. Ethanol fuel also starts to break down as soon as 2 weeks and has moisture drawing properties. Long story short, only use non-ethanol fuel. If your engine has fuel injectors, the last line of defense is the 10 micron filter in the fuel injector. More info available at RaceCityInjector .com We were down the road from you at Turtle Point this weekend chasing eyes

I agree it sounds like an ethanol fuel problem. My boat is new this year and already had issues due to fuel. It’s hard to find non ethanol so I use an additive now.

For two years now I've been taking (6) 5 gallon tanks to the BP on route 53 and State street or Foxhaven marina or Boardwalk on PIB, whenever I need gas. Or trailering to BP to get Marine Fuel E-Free. So much less water and dirt in the filter now.
    Rickerd

Does your engine have Vapor Separator Tank ( VST) and if yes when was the last time you changed the filter screen inside the tank? Some of the dirt you referred to in the fuel /water separator filter could very well have clogged the VST filter. I included a link to a video that shows typical servicing of a VST. I have had the same problem you are experiencing with my F200. Engine would run fine then begin to lose RPM and backfire once in a while but would die shortly thereafter. Shut the engine off and it would start and run but then die. Then finally not start at all. Some but not enough fuel was getting past the VST to allow it to run normal. Also I learned the hard way that you should use a 10 micron fuel/water separator which helps prevent clogging in the future.
    YouTube