Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th Looking for help with a Yamaha 225 2 Stroke and a bad Sunday July 5th
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Hobart, IN
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Does your engine have Vapor Separator Tank ( VST) and if yes when was the last time you changed the filter screen inside the tank? Some of the dirt you referred to in the fuel /water separator filter could very well have clogged the VST filter. I included a link to a video that shows typical servicing of a VST. I have had the same problem you are experiencing with my F200. Engine would run fine then begin to lose RPM and backfire once in a while but would die shortly thereafter. Shut the engine off and it would start and run but then die. Then finally not start at all. Some but not enough fuel was getting past the VST to allow it to run normal. Also I learned the hard way that you should use a 10 micron fuel/water separator which helps prevent clogging in the future.
    YouTube

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Old Guys View Post
    Does your engine have Vapor Separator Tank ( VST) and if yes when was the last time you changed the filter screen inside the tank? Some of the dirt you referred to in the fuel /water separator filter could very well have clogged the VST filter. I included a link to a video that shows typical servicing of a VST. I have had the same problem you are experiencing with my F200. Engine would run fine then begin to lose RPM and backfire once in a while but would die shortly thereafter. Shut the engine off and it would start and run but then die. Then finally not start at all. Some but not enough fuel was getting past the VST to allow it to run normal. Also I learned the hard way that you should use a 10 micron fuel/water separator which helps prevent clogging in the future.
    YouTube


    Most Likely it is the Filter Screen inside the Tank or the Check valve , seen this many times.
    take the Line off and Blow from your mouth into the line that goes into the tank you will hear it Bubble and if the vent is plugged or the screen it will clear it out. again very common problem from what you have described.

    also there is a Check Valve near the out Let of the tank, these go bad all of the time causing what you described, both of these things you can easily do yourself. Check Valves are available at almost any place that sells marine parts.
    best way to test it is take it off and suck on it on outlet side , if working you will know it , just like siphoning gas when you were a kid .

    one of these or both I am sure is your problem, also like some mentioned make sure you use Ethanol remover if you buy gas at a gas sta. best one can be bought all over even Walmart it is in Blue Bottle Think name is Staybright brand.

  3. #13

    Default

    I'd like to thank everyone who contributed/offered assistance/info/suggestions. before I read all the information, I purchased and installed a new primer bulb, took it out a a test run to the intake, ran beautiful then as I rounded the intake, same results, lost all rpms had to limp in at 5 mph . Read all the information posted, went to the marina Saturday and took the gas line off and blew as suggested (several times). Then checked the anti-siphon valve on the pick up tube and there was no ball in the valve, it was free flowing from either direction, went to Mobile R.V. & Marine in Oak Harbor and picked up a new valve installed and motor started right up, ran for 20 minutes, ran beautiful, after I shut it down, checked fuel/water separator, no debris, unable to test run it due to 3 - 5 foot waves Saturday morning.
    Went to go fishing Sunday (yesterday) and 1 mile out same results, lost rpms, so I decided to fish right there, 30 minutes, no luck, so I moved a few times, ended up drifting 5.5 miles towards the east, ended up with 1 eye. At this point it was 11:00 I said I better head in. Took off fine, after about a mile & 1/2 lost all rpms again, cut off many times on the way in. At one point I went to prime the bulb to help get it started, the primer bulb had collapsed suck in on itself. end up limping back in, cut off in the channel, I ended up docking in the middle of A bank, let it sit for an hour, then limped back to my dock, very frustrated. Captain Tacky you mention a filter Screen inside the tank, how would I access it? My engine is a 2001 Yamaha 225 TXRP it does not have a VST found how to clean one on You Tube. I also switched to Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment from Sta-Bil. I have ordered new plugs and wires but I really feel as if its a fuel issue because when its idling at the dock it sounds like its running perfect. NOW THE BAD;
    I've used any gas available, usually the least expensive I could find, the previous owner only told me to use mid-grade to premium, so if that meant trailing, then that's what I had to do, occasionally I'd get it at Meinke's but its really expensive, almost $4 a gallon at times. I never knew anything about non-ethanol gas until reading this forum, after reading I began paying attention at the pump mostly Costco, they bolster about having Top Tier Gas but over the weekend I see the pump says; "contains 10% ethanol" So this is where I am, it's so frustrating I'm about ready to go to a shop, $$$ but most in the area don't/won't service Yamaha, the closest I could find is; Happy Days or Dubbert's' PC!
    Thank you all in advance for any & all of the assistance.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    north coast ohio
    Posts
    69

    Default

    look up Lee's Outboard Motor Service on Facebook. He is on Catawba Island. He is a great guy, mechanic, great at customer service.

    Also, when you fuel bulb is collapsing, you definitely have a fuel delivery failure. Until you correct this, you won't be able to judge the motor.

    Google "ethanol free gasoline near me" I just noticed this past weekend another gas station on 269 north of route 2 carries E-Free gas.
    Rickerd

  5. #15

    Default

    If you fuel bulb is collapsing the ball is not the right one go to dubberts and get OEM bulb I had a fuel issue bulb I bought was inferior product primer bulb helped with the issue from now on only yammi parts fit me

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My Way View Post
    I'd like to thank everyone who contributed/offered assistance/info/suggestions. before I read all the information, I purchased and installed a new primer bulb, took it out a a test run to the intake, ran beautiful then as I rounded the intake, same results, lost all rpms had to limp in at 5 mph . Read all the information posted, went to the marina Saturday and took the gas line off and blew as suggested (several times). Then checked the anti-siphon valve on the pick up tube and there was no ball in the valve, it was free flowing from either direction, went to Mobile R.V. & Marine in Oak Harbor and picked up a new valve installed and motor started right up, ran for 20 minutes, ran beautiful, after I shut it down, checked fuel/water separator, no debris, unable to test run it due to 3 - 5 foot waves Saturday morning.
    Went to go fishing Sunday (yesterday) and 1 mile out same results, lost rpms, so I decided to fish right there, 30 minutes, no luck, so I moved a few times, ended up drifting 5.5 miles towards the east, ended up with 1 eye. At this point it was 11:00 I said I better head in. Took off fine, after about a mile & 1/2 lost all rpms again, cut off many times on the way in. At one point I went to prime the bulb to help get it started, the primer bulb had collapsed suck in on itself. end up limping back in, cut off in the channel, I ended up docking in the middle of A bank, let it sit for an hour, then limped back to my dock, very frustrated. Captain Tacky you mention a filter Screen inside the tank, how would I access it? My engine is a 2001 Yamaha 225 TXRP it does not have a VST found how to clean one on You Tube. I also switched to Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment from Sta-Bil. I have ordered new plugs and wires but I really feel as if its a fuel issue because when its idling at the dock it sounds like its running perfect. NOW THE BAD;
    I've used any gas available, usually the least expensive I could find, the previous owner only told me to use mid-grade to premium, so if that meant trailing, then that's what I had to do, occasionally I'd get it at Meinke's but its really expensive, almost $4 a gallon at times. I never knew anything about non-ethanol gas until reading this forum, after reading I began paying attention at the pump mostly Costco, they bolster about having Top Tier Gas but over the weekend I see the pump says; "contains 10% ethanol" So this is where I am, it's so frustrating I'm about ready to go to a shop, $$$ but most in the area don't/won't service Yamaha, the closest I could find is; Happy Days or Dubbert's' PC!
    Thank you all in advance for any & all of the assistance.
    Have you noticed any un-burnt fuel coming out of the back of the motor? I had a very similar problem with my ox66 225 last summer. My problem ended up being a fuel pump. Replaced all 3 for 150.00 and all is good. Should be a you tube video on how to check for a bad diaphragm. Think all I did was tighten all the screws around the housing then loosen the pump from the cylinder and pump the bulb. If no fuel leaks out tighten and go to the next one and repeat. Worth a look but im old and forgetful so look for a video.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My Way View Post
    I'd like to thank everyone who contributed/offered assistance/info/suggestions. before I read all the information, I purchased and installed a new primer bulb, took it out a a test run to the intake, ran beautiful then as I rounded the intake, same results, lost all rpms had to limp in at 5 mph . Read all the information posted, went to the marina Saturday and took the gas line off and blew as suggested (several times). Then checked the anti-siphon valve on the pick up tube and there was no ball in the valve, it was free flowing from either direction, went to Mobile R.V. & Marine in Oak Harbor and picked up a new valve installed and motor started right up, ran for 20 minutes, ran beautiful, after I shut it down, checked fuel/water separator, no debris, unable to test run it due to 3 - 5 foot waves Saturday morning.
    Went to go fishing Sunday (yesterday) and 1 mile out same results, lost rpms, so I decided to fish right there, 30 minutes, no luck, so I moved a few times, ended up drifting 5.5 miles towards the east, ended up with 1 eye. At this point it was 11:00 I said I better head in. Took off fine, after about a mile & 1/2 lost all rpms again, cut off many times on the way in. At one point I went to prime the bulb to help get it started, the primer bulb had collapsed suck in on itself. end up limping back in, cut off in the channel, I ended up docking in the middle of A bank, let it sit for an hour, then limped back to my dock, very frustrated. Captain Tacky you mention a filter Screen inside the tank, how would I access it? My engine is a 2001 Yamaha 225 TXRP it does not have a VST found how to clean one on You Tube. I also switched to Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment from Sta-Bil. I have ordered new plugs and wires but I really feel as if its a fuel issue because when its idling at the dock it sounds like its running perfect. NOW THE BAD;
    I've used any gas available, usually the least expensive I could find, the previous owner only told me to use mid-grade to premium, so if that meant trailing, then that's what I had to do, occasionally I'd get it at Meinke's but its really expensive, almost $4 a gallon at times. I never knew anything about non-ethanol gas until reading this forum, after reading I began paying attention at the pump mostly Costco, they bolster about having Top Tier Gas but over the weekend I see the pump says; "contains 10% ethanol" So this is where I am, it's so frustrating I'm about ready to go to a shop, $$$ but most in the area don't/won't service Yamaha, the closest I could find is; Happy Days or Dubbert's' PC!
    Thank you all in advance for any & all of the assistance.


    I dock at Meinke West, looks like that is your home port also, if you want to email me [email protected] I would be glad to stop take a look, it is a Fuel delivery issue if the Buld is Collapsing, No charge, I live close and always like to help if I can . I would bet the screen is plugged , very common problem.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    16

    Default

    In boat fuel tank? Check for plugged tank vent line. Sounds like fuel pumps on motor working pulling fuel out of tank cauesing a vacumm which make bauble to colapse. Vent lets gas vapors leave and allow air in tank. Good luck!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleG View Post
    In boat fuel tank? Check for plugged tank vent line. Sounds like fuel pumps on motor working pulling fuel out of tank cauesing a vacumm which make bauble to colapse. Vent lets gas vapors leave and allow air in tank. Good luck!
    Meinke has alcohol free gas.
    Its expensive, but so are tows.
    Buy the Tow Boat US towing insurance. I pay about $80/yr for a 33 ft boat.

    There are quite a few mud daubers around Meinke marina that like to fill up any hole available with mud.
    Check your fuel tank vent. If its plugged, it will suck the bulb flat.
    Also, look inside your fuel lines and if you see any rubber debris in your fuel filter, replace all of your rubber lines with line that can withstand alcohol.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    North West Ohio, Allen County
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Curious,
    Did you try a different tank yet? like the stowaway tank method? I have read all the posts. Yes ethanol is not a good thing (But) Read on
    I do not want to jinx myself, but I have burnt over 5 gallons of Opti II 2 stroke oil since last August so that means I have burnt a bunch of gas. I have done this for a lot of years too. I burn premium pump gas from any old gas station. I am sure there is some ethanol in it. To be honest I do not look. But the key is in not letting the fuel sit in the tank for long periods of time. Ethanol is hydroscopic so it absorbs water and that is where the contaminant bonds with the ethanol and can produce some funk. If you can get your problem to happen again, a separate tank will tell you where the problem is. If you plug in the stow away and the problem goes away, the problem is with your tank. If you plug in the stow away and the problem is still there, the problem is between your tank connection and the engine. I made my living doing similar things mechanically for a lot of years. Now I just teach it. And run my boat and go fishing..
    PimplePounder

    Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium


Similar Threads

  1. as promised. report from saturday and sunday of july 4th weekend
    By Reel_Deal in forum Central Lake Erie Fishing REPORTS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2017, 09:46 PM
  2. Sunday July 3, 16
    By wakina in forum Western Lake Erie Fishing REPORTS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2016, 07:03 PM
  3. Sunday July 20th walkon
    By skipper9 in forum Western Lake Erie Fishing REPORTS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2014, 09:12 PM
  4. yamaha 4 stroke oil change
    By jm gremore in forum Western Lake Erie Fishing REPORTS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2014, 11:03 AM
  5. Sunday July 22
    By gregnwtf in forum Western Lake Erie Fishing REPORTS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 11:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •