Perch nets Perch nets Perch nets Perch nets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch nets

Default Perch nets

Is I am an evening there a map online of perch net locations? I am an evening fisherman and would like to know before i go

I don't think so....they move them around.......there are 4 or 5 sets as of last weekend east of Kellies about 5-7 miles east.

They are stacked close but enough room to pass between the N end of one and the south end of another
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

As Ben said,there are no maps of the position of those commercial nets.They do move them around also.As Juls posted,the nets east of kellies are run north to south.The north end has two flags the southern end only has one flag.You can run over them,but we never knowingly do it.But if you troll into net,you can lose your gear.We had to avoid multiple nets last week east of kellies.

Sure would be nice if they’d curb the commercial perch fishing while the perch population rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Sure would be nice if they’d curb the commercial perch fishing while the perch population rebounds.
    Commercial perch and walleye fishing on the U.S. side is not an issue. The amount of fish they take is very small compared to populations, and it is closely monitored. On the Canadian side, not so much. I'm not going to go into all the reasons because I just get pissed. There is not much info on how the Canadians run their commercial operations but there is some info out there. Do your own research and post your own conclusions.

Are the nets Canadian or US

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk2700 View Post
    Commercial perch and walleye fishing on the U.S. side is not an issue. The amount of fish they take is very small compared to populations, and it is closely monitored. On the Canadian side, not so much. I'm not going to go into all the reasons because I just get pissed. There is not much info on how the Canadians run their commercial operations but there is some info out there. Do your own research and post your own conclusions.
    Well then I guess they shouldn’t put limits on us recreational fisherman if large nets don’t have an effect.

US side so US.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Well then I guess they shouldn’t put limits on us recreational fisherman if large nets don’t have an effect.
    Limits are there for a reason and I'm sure you know why. The commercial guys in Ohio have strict limits also. Don't get me wrong. I'm not sticking up for commercial fishing. In fact, I don't thing there should be any commercial netting on the Great Lakes. Commercial fishermen everywhere, when given the chance will cheat. They get caught on the lakes all the time. Our one commercial guy in Michigan waters of the western basin (his license is for rough fish) got caught with 800 lbs of whitefish last fall, but it was worth the risk because at the time the max fine was like around 250 and seizure of the fish. I know one of the Ohio guys got popped last year. It's gotten better in Canada, but they are still largely self monitored. The biggest issue I have with Canadian operations is the use of [B]gill[B]nets. I still catch walleye with gill plate damage now and then, and don't get me going on the marketing of steel head the are planted by the Lake Erie states. Canada doesn't plant any. It's just like anything else, follow the money! OK, my rant is over.

Fishhawk, do you mean to tell me, steelhead is being commercially fished in Lake Erie, then sold to market, and there is virtually zero natural reproduction? Canada is doing this and they do not contribute to the steelhead stocks? I'm going to research before I get emotional but I hope I'm wrong.
    Rickerd