Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Recommend Recommend:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenging day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Challenging day

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Niagara reef to Port Clinton in reverse with a prop with 2 of 3 blades? Roughly 4 hours!!! I stopped just north of Niagara this morning at 6. Fished for a half hour then decided to head out to the west sister area. Didn't quite get on plane and I hit a submerged log roughly 20' long. It stopped me dead. Needless to say for some reason I had reverse only. Thought about getting towed but elected to idle back the whole way in reverse. It was a beautiful day for a boat ride.

Post Thanks / Like

How did the engine sound and run with only two blades? Did you have an aluminum prop on your boat?

Post Thanks / Like

It sheared one blade cleanly off at the hub. If I ran over 900 rpm it sounded and felt like the boat was shaking apart. 2-1/2 mph into the wind the whole way back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
    It sheared one blade cleanly off at the hub. If I ran over 900 rpm it sounded and felt like the boat was shaking apart. 2-1/2 mph into the wind the whole way back.
    that sucks ,i always worrie about that ,sorry it happened,i propably would have trolled.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not really into trolling but if I wasn't by myself I would have. Just keeping it strait going 45 degrees into the wind was full time.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Sorry for your misfortune. That would have been a ***** going up the river, I'm sure also.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Niagara reef to Port Clinton in reverse with a prop with 2 of 3 blades? Roughly 4 hours!!! I stopped just north of Niagara this morning at 6. Fished for a half hour then decided to head out to the west sister area. Didn't quite get on plane and I hit a submerged log roughly 20' long. It stopped me dead. Needless to say for some reason I had reverse only. Thought about getting towed but elected to idle back the whole way in reverse. It was a beautiful day for a boat ride.
    That's one of the main reasons I added a kicker to my boat a couple years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Do u have tow insurance I sure as hell would have used it
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy smokes what a ride that was I bet. I hope you had a good sized boat to do that reverse trip!
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 27' Sea Ray. I do have towing insurance and would have used if the waves would have been worse.