Challenging day Challenging day Challenging day Challenging day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenging day

Default Challenging day

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Niagara reef to Port Clinton in reverse with a prop with 2 of 3 blades? Roughly 4 hours!!! I stopped just north of Niagara this morning at 6. Fished for a half hour then decided to head out to the west sister area. Didn't quite get on plane and I hit a submerged log roughly 20' long. It stopped me dead. Needless to say for some reason I had reverse only. Thought about getting towed but elected to idle back the whole way in reverse. It was a beautiful day for a boat ride.

How did the engine sound and run with only two blades? Did you have an aluminum prop on your boat?

It sheared one blade cleanly off at the hub. If I ran over 900 rpm it sounded and felt like the boat was shaking apart. 2-1/2 mph into the wind the whole way back.

Quote Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
    It sheared one blade cleanly off at the hub. If I ran over 900 rpm it sounded and felt like the boat was shaking apart. 2-1/2 mph into the wind the whole way back.
    that sucks ,i always worrie about that ,sorry it happened,i propably would have trolled.

Im not really into trolling but if I wasn't by myself I would have. Just keeping it strait going 45 degrees into the wind was full time.

WOW! Sorry for your misfortune. That would have been a ***** going up the river, I'm sure also.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Niagara reef to Port Clinton in reverse with a prop with 2 of 3 blades? Roughly 4 hours!!! I stopped just north of Niagara this morning at 6. Fished for a half hour then decided to head out to the west sister area. Didn't quite get on plane and I hit a submerged log roughly 20' long. It stopped me dead. Needless to say for some reason I had reverse only. Thought about getting towed but elected to idle back the whole way in reverse. It was a beautiful day for a boat ride.
    That's one of the main reasons I added a kicker to my boat a couple years ago.

Do u have tow insurance I sure as hell would have used it
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Holy smokes what a ride that was I bet. I hope you had a good sized boat to do that reverse trip!
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I have a 27' Sea Ray. I do have towing insurance and would have used if the waves would have been worse.