Mayflies Mayflies Mayflies Mayflies

Thread: Mayflies

Default Mayflies

Learning to fish walleye after moving to the area. Have had some luck drifting worm harnesses and also trolling crankbaits near KellyÂ’s. With the mayflies hatching IÂ’m wondering whether the walleye will be at all interested in either of these baits for the next couple weeks. Also, do the walleye leave the islands area as the summer warms up? I grew up near Erie PA and remember fishing with my grandfather after the 4th of July. DonÂ’t remember mayflies! Thanks for sharing your experience with this old rookie.

The mayflies might slowdown the walleye bite a bit. But the last 2-3 years, we were still catching em around the islands into late July/early August.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapleshade View Post
    Learning to fish walleye after moving to the area. Have had some luck drifting worm harnesses and also trolling crankbaits near KellyÂ’s. With the mayflies hatching IÂ’m wondering whether the walleye will be at all interested in either of these baits for the next couple weeks. Also, do the walleye leave the islands area as the summer warms up? I grew up near Erie PA and remember fishing with my grandfather after the 4th of July. DonÂ’t remember mayflies! Thanks for sharing your experience with this old rookie.
    They are still stacked over on the east side of Kelly’s but it’s a slow steady pull you can tell the fish are full but they are still hitting just find pockets and work the pockets, bandits seemed to be faster than harnesses and spoons were almost dead for me today.

Thanks for the info...much appreciated.