Help for a newbie Help for a newbie Help for a newbie Help for a newbie

Default Help for a newbie

I was thinking of coming and fishing the western basin tomorrow and Saturday. In between south bass and Kelleys. It would be my first trip there. I have a Pro guide 175 deep v tracker. I checked windsurf and it’s calling for winds anywhere from 2 to 8 mph out of E. I just want to be safe and get opinions from those of you more experienced with the lake. Obviously I know to constantly be checking the weather on this lake and be smart. Just curious if that’s a relatively calm day on the lake or if I have a chance to get banged around. Thanks in advance!

Can't get much calmer wind conditions than today and Saturday.Go for it.You will be getting boat chop though.

I fished for several years on Lake Erie out of a 17' Magna V Tracker. Great boat that can handle 2 ft waves easily. Anything over 3 footers is a bit of a challenge and less than comfortable, especially trying to troll into the waves. I've fished a lot of 4 footers too, but mostly casting. Motor up through the waves slow, drift back with the wind. 2 to 8 mph winds will be a very calm day on Erie. If you are going out of Mazuriks you'll have to content with some boat waves getting across the south passage. Take your time and don't expect to plane at 25 mph the whole time. Adjust your trim to get the right ride on the water you're in. Go out and have fun, be safe and catch some walleye!

Thank you guys for the advice