Firing Range Walleye Firing Range Walleye Firing Range Walleye Firing Range Walleye
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firing Range Walleye

I've been seeing reports of walleye being caught North/northwest of Kelley's. I'm curious... Any walleye being caught out towards the firing range? Gonna be heading out of Gem Beach this weekend and trying to decide which way to go 👍🏼🎣

I'm wondering the same thing. We'll be on the west side next week and wondering if we need to trailer over to Marblehead or if there are still good fish in the western end. Any help greatly appreciated.

My cousin caught a limit on “Sassy sal” last Wednesday casting worm harnesses close to the east range line, south of Niagara. I’m headed up tomorrow with some kids and was hoping to hear of a decent casting/drifting idea. We can troll straight behind the boat if we have to, but 7 year olds can’t tell when it’s a fish or deep diver... so that’s tough.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, casting is a lot more fun, especially with kids or impatient anglers. Trolling can be more productive at times but is not the same as holding the rod in your hands.

Good luck and post your results. I will do the same.

I may fish that area tomorrow. I will likely start out trolling and if I find a good concentration of fish, stop and cast a while. I'll post how I do.

Hope you have a uhf radio. Camp Perry was conducting live fire exercises today

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
    Hope you have a uhf radio. Camp Perry was conducting live fire exercises today
    I thought they stopped firing operations there?

Nope they were firing last Saturday morning from the radio announcement on channel 16.
    Rickerd

The firing is only in area 1. It doesn't most of the reef complex, especially this time of year as I assume the walleye have moved north out into 25 FOW or deeper.

Set up about 8:30 fished till noon. Only 4 keepers, 3 trolling, 1 casting. Had a lot of shorts that weren't there a week ago. Not a lot of bunched up fish. Spoons were best it seemed. Plenty of sheepshead. Had 1 nice cat. Next time out I'll ramp east. BTW I was fishing alone.
    Last edited by dunn782; 06-19-2020 at 08:39 PM. Reason: BTW