Evening and Morning Troll with John Evening and Morning Troll with John Evening and Morning Troll with John Evening and Morning Troll with John

Default Evening and Morning Troll with John

Was driving up to lakehouse after work on Saturday.Plan was to fish with my classmate John sunday morning.Called him driving and he said nobody but us two to fish in morning,how bout going to dinner together.I said,how about going out fishing.Everyone getting quick limits.Just go out for an hour or two and pick up an easy dozen and enjoy a nice sunset.Stopped at our place to change quickly and got to his boat and rigged up six lines.
    We headed toward Starve islands and set out 4 dipseys with 3 spoons and a white spoon harness.Had bandits on boards on the other two rods.This was the first time fishing with John this season and was excited to join him because we get along so well and was able to use the new Cisco thriple gimble rod holders I ordered and he bought.I also ordered two more line counters reels that
    I spooled and calibrated some Hi vis yellow braid.
    We headed east through a small pack of boats waiting for that fast bite I had read about.We started catching a few shorts,a couple small white perch and a couple skinny 17" keepers.Huh,this is not going to be as I thought.I started changing the dipsey leads and one of the spoon colors.We started fishing around 7pm and we were not catching fast enough.We headed through American Eagle and I swapped out another spoon for another white spoon harness.Had the two spoon harness on #3 setting at 50 and 55 and started catching better on them.I then zeroed in the other two dipseys at#1 setting at 35 and 40 then added another purple deamon spoon harness to one of those rods.
    The bite got better,bigger fish and fewer shorts and junk as we headed east and the sunlight diminishing.Got a couple 23" fish and a 27" as sun going down.That NE wind was picking up and got our dozen in a couple hours.Was really nice having those Ciscos to fine tune and adjust position of the rods and that Hi Vis braid helped seeing the angle of the two lines to help identify fish on the lines.
    The next morning went to where we caught best at end of day with same setting almost.Just settled at 50 on #3 and 33 on #1.Did not keep any under 20" and got our 12 in an hour.Could only get the 5th rod out once for one throwback.
    Went to Bays Edge just as they were opening at 11am and had a line of like 15 people dropping off and picking up fish.Was told a 3hr wait till our 24 fish/54lbs were cleaned.Went into store and bought a replacement for lost I B Frozen bandit lost 2wks before.I also bought another board for the captain that lost a board bringing in only fish of the day on it.The cashier said they had a single day record amount of fish cleaned on Saturday.Total was 8100lbs.They worked till 12:30am to finish.

Nice write up Bob. Sounds like you figured them out quick enough.

Why do you chose the dipsey’s over tru trips? Also, what does bays edge charge to clean walleye?

Bays edge charges $.65/lb and port Clinton fish cleaning charges $1.00/lb now.I feel the turbulence from a dipsey or a true trip 40 is what attracts the fish to a spoon.The TT40/spoon combo are a deadly combination to catch walleye now.Thats why most charters are running those TT40s on their big boards.We don't use big boards.We run inline planer boards.The inline planers work great for cranks and Tadpole/harnesses.But not so great with the tru trips.The TT40s pull very hard on an inline board,so I bought TT30s.THe TT30s are the proper size and pull for our inline boards.The problem with using the TT30s on inline boards are the false release.If the tru trip releases due to boat surge or a fish hit,can't really tell by looking at board.Then you are dragging a useless lure around for who knows how long.
    Once you learn how to use the dipseys,they can be set,checked or reeled in very quickly.I can reel in a fish and take off and reset line in close to a minute.Can't do that with a board.But the dipseys work much better in deeper water.The 3 setting works well do to planeing away from boat,but a #1 setting is almost right behind boat.That #1 setting works better in 30fow or more.Another thing with dipseys,they sink when you stop/turn so you should weigh your dipsies.Then put the heaviest on inside line.That will help prevent tangles.

Oh yeah,we were going around 2.3mph.

I was just curious. I use inlines and have run TT40’s for many years now.