Wind Speed/Direction = Calm Seas Wind Speed/Direction = Calm Seas Wind Speed/Direction = Calm Seas Wind Speed/Direction = Calm Seas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wind Speed/Direction = Calm Seas

Hello Everyone. My first post!

My brother and I are thinking about doing a little fishing and charter a boat out of Port Clinton but he's not the most sea worthy guy out there, if you know what I mean. I was wondering what conditions (wind speed/direction) provide calm seas, say less than 2 footers?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide,

Default Tips for motion sickness on Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by hollobar View Post
    Hello Everyone. My first post!

My brother and I are thinking about doing a little fishing and charter a boat out of Port Clinton but he's not the most sea worthy guy out there, if you know what I mean. I was wondering what conditions (wind speed/direction) provide calm seas, say less than 2 footers?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide,
    West or South West winds are the best 10 mph or less.
    The North and North West winds can bring up the bouncy waves and are the most unpredictable.
    Lake Erie can be very unpredictable so bring a rain coat too.
    If walleye fishing, I would bring 4 dozen night crawlers per person. (white perch are great bait stealers, and sheep head are fun to catch ~ they all like to steal your bait)
    Hydrate the night before (water).
    Bring plenty of water in your cooler for the trip. Pop is ok, but water is the best.
    No spicy foods~! A dump in the Head Boat is no joy with a moving boat, plus the small quarters just makes it worse if you are prone to motion sickness.
    Light breakfast in the AM and bring some crackers for a light snack, the cheese, nut and turkey packs are good to have in your cooler.
    Finally, take a motion sickness pill, they may make you tired but better then a "chum machine" ~!
    Good Luck,
    Hope this helps~!
    Tight Lines,
    ~Water Dog

Thanks Waterdog. I appreciate the quick response and information.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    West or South West winds are the best 10 mph or less.
    The North and North West winds can bring up the bouncy waves and are the most unpredictable.
    Lake Erie can be very unpredictable so bring a rain coat too.
    If walleye fishing, I would bring 4 dozen night crawlers per person. (white perch are great bait stealers, and sheep head are fun to catch ~ they all like to steal your bait)
    Hydrate the night before (water).
    Bring plenty of water in your cooler for the trip. Pop is ok, but water is the best.
    No spicy foods~! A dump in the Head Boat is no joy with a moving boat, plus the small quarters just makes it worse if you are prone to motion sickness.
    Light breakfast in the AM and bring some crackers for a light snack, the cheese, nut and turkey packs are good to have in your cooler.
    Finally, take a motion sickness pill, they may make you tired but better then a "chum machine" ~!
    Good Luck,
    Hope this helps~!
    Tight Lines,
    ~Water Dog

Go to Rite Aid , Wallgreens or any big Pharmacy they sell a Motion Sickness Wrist Band
    , simple to use just put 1 on each wrist with button Pressure Point as in instructions.

Do not understand the full reason why they work but in my 50 Plus years of Fishing on lake Erie they work for those that experience Sea Sickness .Key is to PUT them ON before leaving Dock

Real Ginger Ale can also work if you drink a bit before it is too late. It has helped me come back plenty of times without puking.
    Rickerd

Thanks for the information everyone.

One more thing. What should I expect with a North, or North East, or a East wind? Not sure what to ask for wind speed.

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by hollobar View Post
    Thanks for the information everyone.

One more thing. What should I expect with a North, or North East, or a East wind? Not sure what to ask for wind speed.

Thanks again,
    From my experience, the Lake Erie marine forecast typically underestimates wave height when a N or NE wind is involved. So if it’s calling for 2 feet or less, I’m usually expecting 2-3 footers. Also depends on your position on the lake, I launch out of Sandusky bay so I’m affected more by NE winds. With the islands, can always tuck in close to the leeward side of south bass or Kellys on windier days

Quote Originally Posted by LazyDays View Post
    From my experience, the Lake Erie marine forecast typically underestimates wave height when a N or NE wind is involved. So if it’s calling for 2 feet or less, I’m usually expecting 2-3 footers. Also depends on your position on the lake, I launch out of Sandusky bay so I’m affected more by NE winds. With the islands, can always tuck in close to the leeward side of south bass or Kellys on windier days
    Download the Free AP IWINDSURF it gives real time wind speed and Direction, anything more than 10 Knots out of the N NE I do not go.
    as stated above the National weather service Forecast is wrong alot, also it can be much different at the Lake than it is at my House 3 Miles away . again use IWINDSURF .

I only use IWindsurf too for wind forcast.I actually look at it every day.The NOAA forcast is useless.Dont even look at it anymore.Look to fish on a day with south to west wind less than 10mph the whole time you are fishing.The problem with going with a charter,is that you schedule trip and place deposit to fish on a specific day.The forcast is only dependable starting 2 days away and that is not entirely dependable with storms and multiple fronts coming thru at the time you are looking.Seams the charters schedule not as full this season due to this pandemic.So weekdays probably will be open.Could find a charter to take you on one days notice middle of week when forcast calls for a flat lake.Good luck.

Anybody have insight as to when the weather buoy 45005 will start producing real time data again? It’s usually up and running by now