calming afternoon trip 5/31 calming afternoon trip 5/31 calming afternoon trip 5/31 calming afternoon trip 5/31
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default calming afternoon trip 5/31

My crew arrived and we launched at 12:30 and headed for lucys point and set a south troll at 1.8. the lake laid down quite a bit and it was warming nicely. The fish pushed down in the water column to 25 to 35 feet deep near bottom. i knew this was going to be a tougher bite. We set the bandits down deeper 50/65, 50/70, 50/75, 50/80, 50/85, 50/90 and we set two 4 oz bottom bouncers off the corners and a tadpole out the back on a stern planer. We caught some nice walleye on the bottom bouncers and tadpole this afternoon, probably half the fish. I changed out two more of the bandits to run two more 3 oz bottom bouncers and they pulled their share of fish. We pulled their 18 fish half on bandits and half on harnesses and where done by 3 pm and all the fish where a bit nicer sized. Turned out to be a very nice afternoon.
    calming afternoon trip 5/31-6120-011-jpg
    Capt Sam "Porkchop" Downing
    [email protected]
    www.porkchopexpresscharters.com
    www.facebook.com/captwalleye/
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.
    OFFERING 2 TO 6 PERSON CHARTERS FOR WALLEYE AND PERCH

You sure know how to find and catch those fish!

Nice work Sam!

Off topic- who did the graphics on your boat?

image 360 in Brighton, mi
    [email protected]
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.

NIce report. Just so I'm clear, when you say you let the bandits back 50/65 etc, you're saying you set a 2 oz snap weight at 50' and then let out another 15' of line, right?

When someone says 50/65 or 20/25, that first number means line out that length in feet then usually a 2oz weight then the second number means that length out then attach to board.So 50/65 means a total of 115ft from lure to board.

what bob described is one way to do it, but i do not do it that way. I put out 50 then add a 2 oz weight then let out 15 feet to read 65 total feet out. The numbers are what your counter reads, this seems easier to me as there is no need for math. just match the numbers on your counter to the precision trolling app and speed and your bait is where you want it. So basically i run 50' leads then put on the 2 oz weight and adjust my depth with the amount of line left out after the weight. This keeps things consistent and easy to remember. I have found if i run different leads it doesn't catch any more fish and creates more tangles. If i decide to run 30 foot leads then i run them all 30 on one side ( i do this in bigger waves for better control). sometimes i will run 30 on one side and 50 on the other especially if mixing p-10's and bandits in the winter and spring as the bandits dive deeper and do not need as much lead to get to the same depth. I never mix on the same side as it always seems to end up in tangles unless i'm only running 3 or 4 lines and they are spread apart a fairly good distance. I'm typically running 6 boards per side and they are spread apart about 10 to 12 feet, that is pretty close together and the big change in leads can cause issues.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Porkchop View Post
    what bob described is one way to do it, but i do not do it that way. I put out 50 then add a 2 oz weight then let out 15 feet to read 65 total feet out. The numbers are what your counter reads, this seems easier to me as there is no need for math. just match the numbers on your counter to the precision trolling app and speed and your bait is where you want it. So basically i run 50' leads then put on the 2 oz weight and adjust my depth with the amount of line left out after the weight. This keeps things consistent and easy to remember. I have found if i run different leads it doesn't catch any more fish and creates more tangles. If i decide to run 30 foot leads then i run them all 30 on one side ( i do this in bigger waves for better control). sometimes i will run 30 on one side and 50 on the other especially if mixing p-10's and bandits in the winter and spring as the bandits dive deeper and do not need as much lead to get to the same depth. I never mix on the same side as it always seems to end up in tangles unless i'm only running 3 or 4 lines and they are spread apart a fairly good distance. I'm typically running 6 boards per side and they are spread apart about 10 to 12 feet, that is pretty close together and the big change in leads can cause issues.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I can't even imagine running 6 boards per side. 3 is plenty for me as we usually only run 6 lines for two or even three people in the boat. More than that and I will lose my serenity pretty quickly.

So what it the approx depth 50/65 with 2 oz In line weights? With bandits? Just curious. I’ve been using no weights on boards on the sides and weights on the back been clipping weights on them anywhere from 20-30 feet then hitting bottom been producing decent... first year figuring this trolling with cranks and boards.... I like it but my crew have some medical issues and I’m doing it all at times, kinda hectic . hopefully the cranks continues and I can eliminate worms.

If your trolling bandits at 2 mph and letting out 50’ of line then a 2oz weight. Then 65’ of line you should be at 32’ down