Fishing Day 2 with Dean and Bruce 5/23/2020 Fishing Day 2 with Dean and Bruce 5/23/2020 Fishing Day 2 with Dean and Bruce 5/23/2020 Fishing Day 2 with Dean and Bruce 5/23/2020

Default Fishing Day 2 with Dean and Bruce 5/23/2020

Woke up at 3am, and looked out the back door to check the weather. The fog was thick and it felt like it was in the mid 50's. Well, it is what it is. I don't necessarily like fishing in the fog, as the danger level rises, but it's doable when caution is observed.

This morning, I met Dean and Bruce at Mazurik's at 5:30 and launched as soon as a lane at the ramp became available. We headed back to the last spot we fished yesterday and set the Bandits out 60-70 back at a speed of 1.8mph. Colors were (2) Glare, Green Clown, and (2) of a color I just picked up at Fisherman's Wharf...I think it's a JT Custom Bandit, but I can't find the color on the internet and I bought the only two they had. It's blueish with a bit of white and black splotches with an orange belly, and a gold splattering of vertical strips all over it. It's one of those Custom colors that I would usually say, "That one will catch more fishermen than fish". I fell for it myself, and I'm glad I did, because it's a fish catching color. lol

We started catching right away and on the third fish, I decided at the last second not to use the net, because it was only 17-18" fish, and swing it in. Well, just as I was going in for the hold, it decided it was going to give one last attempt at freedom and stuck a treble hook in my thumb....ugh.

With another fish hanging out there behind an Off Shore board, I asked Dean to take the fish off the hooks, and had Bruce grab the cutters out of the glove box. Then, Bruce snipped that part of the treble that was sticking in my thumb, so I could keep fishing if I couldn't yank it out. With one attempt at yanking it, I decided to just leave it and deal with it later. It wasn't long after that we had all the rods in the boat and 6 fish in the box.

We had our three person limit by 8:15 and, because of the horrendous Midge hatch, no wind, and all the thick fog, we decided to head in, so they could get some breakfast and get the fish cleaned before heading back home.

I called my friend, who's a doctor and told him what happened. He told me to go meet him at his office and he would yank it for me. He gave my thumb a shot and froze it, so I wouldn't feel it getting pulled out. Luckily he had enough of the shank to get a good grip and it pulled out more easily than he thought it would. It actually hurts more now that it's out than when the hook was in there. I think I'll use the net from now on. lol

Tomorrow, I'll be fishing a new area, because it's time to go find new fish. That's part of the fun of fishing. Using my Helix to locate them... away from everyone, and then getting them in the boat.
    With that said, I would just like to remind (and, I don't mean this to be harsh)....don't expect me to always give you the location, because that's not always going to happen. I'd like to think that these blogs have helped you become better anglers and have given you the confidence to go out there and put the work in to locate them yourselves too. It's a great feeling when you can do that. There are fish just about everywhere right now, and will be for the next few months, so just go out...use your electronics to find some, check your Precision Trolling App for the depth and set up.
    I will continue to give you the program that is working each day though.
    I hope you understand.

Tomorrow, I am fishing with a father and Son team, and will be launching at Mazurik's at 5:30 again. The weather forecast is calling for scattered showers and thunderstorms in the morning, but it's only a 30% chance, so I like our chances.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing Day 2 with Dean and Bruce 5/23/2020-dean-wallsmith-bruce-5_23_2020e-jpg Fishing Day 2 with Dean and Bruce 5/23/2020-dean-wallsmith-bruce-5_23_2020f-jpg Fishing Day 2 with Dean and Bruce 5/23/2020-dean-wallsmith-bruce-5_23_2020g-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Good to know a doc friend so he can help in times like this. It's one of my biggest fears when I fish solo. Glad you got fixed up and will be back on the water tomorrow. I look forward to your report. (hopefully, no midges!) That can really test your patience....having a hook stuck in your thumb and bugs flying all around you. Props to you! (pun? maybe...lol)
    Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
    Yamaha 90 4 stroke
    Suzuki 9.9 EFI
    Minn Kota Terrova iPilot 80# w/ US2
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 9 inch
    Lowrance Elite 5x

That looks painfull.That's the way to tough it out and finish the day for your clients.If that was a male charter,he would have called it a day and ran to his doctor...wink,wink.

Always enjoy reading your posts, thanks for taking the time to post them. I was out today, covered head to toe in midges. Me and my wife ended up with 10 in the cooler.

Those 3 treble hooks on bandits are sharp and hook everything. They work great hooking up walleye but not so fun when they're hooking your net, clothes, carpet or skin. I know I gotta be extra careful with them. Love reading your reports Juls.

Captain Juls,
    Thank you for the reports. My groups had never run Bandits before, we usually come out and the fish are on crawlers already, so knowing some colors, speeds and feet back were an immense help. Took us a day, but we figured it out and were able to put together some freezer meat. Thank you for what you do!