Trolling with boards question Trolling with boards question Trolling with boards question Trolling with boards question

Default Trolling with boards question

First attempt with boards. Going to try and run 3 boards each side. Which lure should run deepest. The back or front lure? If it matters. Thx.

I知 not sure it matters... (not a pro). What does work For me is if I get a fish on the outside one, drop the 2 closest to you back then pull in the outside one with the fish..but if the fish is big, it might just pull the outside board back then just pull in through the middle straight up behind the boat..

. Same thing with the middle board.. drop the board closest then bring in the middle board with fish ahead of the one you drop back..
    Last edited by WittenBerg70; 05-23-2020 at 12:24 PM.

The longest leads go on outside board and shortest on inside board.I used to run the shallower lure on outside board.My thinking was the furthest lure from boat least likely to spook fish so thought best to run the shallower lure there.Problem was that you get more tangles.You can run shallowest and longest lead on outside board,but it would have to be a shallow running crank like a P10 there,

then a deeper running crank on other two lines.
    I have been running a 2oz sinker on my inside boards,to match the depth of my outside boards and has worked really well.Ran the boards 80 on outside,70 middle and had a 20/20 and 20/25 lead with the sinker on inside boards.

Quote Originally Posted by WittenBerg70 View Post
    I知 not sure it matters... (not a pro). What does work For me is if I get a fish on the outside one, drop the 2 closest to you back then pull in the outside one with the fish..but if the fish is big, it might just pull the outside board back then just pull in through the middle straight up behind the boat..
    Thx Witt... how far out do you put the first board Out and far Apart are the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    The longest leads go on outside board and shortest on inside board.I used to run the shallower lure on outside board.My thinking was the furthest lure from boat least likely to spook fish so thought best to run the shallower lure there.Problem was that you get more tangles.You can run shallowest and longest lead on outside board,but it would have to be a shallow running crank like a P10 there,

then a deeper running crank on other two lines.
    I have been running a 2oz sinker on my inside boards,to match the depth of my outside boards and has worked really well.Ran the boards 80 on outside,70 middle and had a 20/20 and 20/25 lead with the sinker on inside boards.
    Thx for the feedback Bob... So how far are you letting the boards off the side of the boat? My understanding is you Personally put your cranks out at 80/70 then 20 with weights with the others boards .........I was experimenting with letting the boards out at 40/20/10 after I got the cranks out. ....Not sure what the spread should be between boards or how far out the first boards should be. I知 guessing it is personal preference.... Yesterday was a training day and all went pretty good. Next time out will work on turns if I get the spread and boards apart distance right (if there is such a thing)... thx again Bob. Very generous of you taking time for the feedback.

Went out fishing several years ago in November with a Joe Smith..aka Meerkat on OGF.He was nice enough to take me out Huron when all my buddies boats were in storage.Great guy and even better fisherman.He is an engineer by profession and showed me how to run three boards a side.He ran his boards 30,60 and 90ft from boat.I ran our boards like that for a while but thought the boards were too close to boat.I then ran first board out 40ft then 70 and 100ft.That is what I feel is best spacing.I don't use the line counter to space boards Any more.I know what looks best and space accordingly.In higher waves run boards a little closer.

Why not just pop the board, let it fall behind and pull it in the back? This is what I do without any issues at all. It seems that dropping 2 others boards back to get the third one in would be a pita.

Why not just pop the board, let it fall behind and pull it in the back? This is what I do without any issues at all. It seems that dropping 2 others boards back to get the third one in would be a pita. Oh, and I run 5 boards per side.

On my little 19fter I can easily run 4 boards per side plus a 50 jet on the corner or 3 boards a 50 jet and dipsey. And drag my down trigger ball of wanted depending on how many ppl I have on board.

I use Sam's pro releases on the front and a locker on the rear. Took a little to figure out how to wrap correctly to release but now it works like butter. A tiny pop and it falls out of line to middle and setup straight out the back and it pulls right up. Using gbthe releasing clips I can run my shallow lead on the outside. I dont like dropping boards or shuffling

Depending on traffic I run bait plus 100 on the outside, +70 on middle, +40 inside when running 3 perside.

When running 4 I try to keep at least 25 between boards.......

If I dont go to 40 out on the insides my boards start to slip due to my 7ft rods........I need to find shorter ones I like to help this
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters