Dipsey Diver Leader Length Dipsey Diver Leader Length Dipsey Diver Leader Length Dipsey Diver Leader Length

Default Dipsey Diver Leader Length

I recently moved and will be fishing out of Erie, PA instead of Monroe, MI. I’m used to running big planners on each side with bandits and/or Jet 40’s with harness when I fished the western basin. After reading several articles and forums, fishing out of Erie will be a much deeper fishing strategy. Downriggers and dipsey divers seem to be the norm to get the depth required. I used to fish Lake Michigan years ago for salmon with riggers and dipseys but I’m way out of practice and have never tried those devices with walleye. How long of a leader does everyone run behind their riggers and dipsey divers? On riggers, I used to implement the 100 total feet rule (rigger ball down 50 then 50 from ball to lure, always a combination of 100). l also remember running about rod length leader behind dipsey (mostly for ease of netting the fish). I recently ran across a thread for Lake Michigan salmon fishing and folks were running much longer leads behind their dipseys, 10-12’ (some even 30-50’ with elaborate ways to clip off the dipsey when getting it to the boat). I wonder if there is a difference for walleye in Lake Erie. Thanks for any help.

We run about 6 ft behind dipsey and 50 jets. Much longer and you can reach to net the fish.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 05-18-2020 at 09:19 PM.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

We ran leads on dipsys about 6 feet. Ran wire line. Didn’t run down riggers. Our normal setup was 4 dipsys Rods and 4 or 6 leadcore Rods off planers with bandits...

My leaders are 7ft seaguar 20# flourocarbon with swivel one one end and clip on other.

Quote Originally Posted by motownhound View Post
    I recently moved and will be fishing out of Erie, PA instead of Monroe, MI. I’m used to running big planners on each side with bandits and/or Jet 40’s with harness when I fished the western basin. After reading several articles and forums, fishing out of Erie will be a much deeper fishing strategy. Downriggers and dipsey divers seem to be the norm to get the depth required. I used to fish Lake Michigan years ago for salmon with riggers and dipseys but I’m way out of practice and have never tried those devices with walleye. How long of a leader does everyone run behind their riggers and dipsey divers? On riggers, I used to implement the 100 total feet rule (rigger ball down 50 then 50 from ball to lure, always a combination of 100). l also remember running about rod length leader behind dipsey (mostly for ease of netting the fish). I recently ran across a thread for Lake Michigan salmon fishing and folks were running much longer leads behind their dipseys, 10-12’ (some even 30-50’ with elaborate ways to clip off the dipsey when getting it to the boat). I wonder if there is a difference for walleye in Lake Erie. Thanks for any help.
    if you want longer leads us the lite bite slide diver. but i run them like a dipsy with a 6 to 7 ft leader. its all i've ever needed. i've tried longer leads but didnt catch any more fish.

on the dr i just use about 25' to catch fish. anything over 25' never improved my catch rate.

Thank you all for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by motownhound View Post
    I usually use about an 8 foot leader on dipsies. Using a 9 foot dipsy rod allows for longer leaders. In deep water on Erie, leadcore and dipsies should be your go to rigs. You may need to get down 50 feet, a full core of lead is required for that. I have two 36lb test full core leadcore rigs and 3 half core leadcore rigs. For the half core rigs, 28lb test works. It is easier to handle, and doesn't sink the board as much. I wouldn't necessarily stop using downriggers, but don't expect them to be the hot rig. 25 to 50 feet down is common on riggers, depending on how deep the fish are. 50 to 100 feet back is common. Don't run the same depths, or rigs all the time. Find out what depth guys are catching fish, and Tailor your presentation to hit that depth. 25 feet down for walleyes is usually my starting depth when fishing from 50 feet to 73 foot deep water.