Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020 Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020 Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020 Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020

Default Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020

Today, was my first paying trip since we got locked down by the state back in early April. When I woke up this morning, I thought I would be tired, but as soon as I realized what day it was, my adrenaline popped me right up out of bed. I didn't even need any coffee this morning either, which is unusual.

I was meeting my Father and Son duo at Catawba at 6am. I threw some of that Wisconsin Venison sausage that customer, Chris Utter, brings down every spring, along with some crackers, and water into the cooler, and headed to the gas station to gas up. I was disappointed that the Speedway has changed their hours due to this virus situation, because they aren't open early enough for a gal like me. lol So, I had to go a bit out of the way to go gas up someplace else and grab some ice. Oh well....it is what it is, right?

I got to Catawba at 5:20...a little early, because I wanted to check the lines for nicks or kinks, and cut some off if needed. I also wanted to change up some Bandit colors on the 6 rods. I chose Glare, Green Clown, Chrome Barbie, RC Crush, Chart Wonderbread, and Sunspot to start with. It basically covers all of the color spectra.

Mark and David showed up at the ramp about the time I did, but because it was dark, they didn't realize it was me. Mark sent me a text to let me know they were in the parking lot, and since there was only me and one other boat in the big parking lot, and two cars in the side lot parking, it was easy to find them. We launched at 6.

I asked, "So, have either of you ever used Off Shore inline planer boards before?" David said, "No...never have". As I watched Mark arrive on the dock to jump in, I said, "Okay, I'll show you how then."

I was a little worried about the way they were dressed for a chilly morning on a lake that's only 48-49 degrees right now, and asked about it, but they said they would be fine, so off we went.

We headed over to the Clinton Reef area to check it out first. I figured if the fish were there, they wouldn't get as cold as if we headed out in the more unprotected areas of the open water with an east wind.

We set the Bandits out 45 on the outside board, 35 on the middle board, and 25 on the inside board and ran a speed, up and down from 1.6-1.9mph. The Helix was marking fish from time to time, but they weren't stacked up in there like it can from time to time, so we left. We headed up to the Green Island area. Bandits were run at 75/70/65 back.

For first time board users, they did a fantastic job and within two hours were working like a well-oiled machine. The bite was not fast and furious, but it was a nice steady bite, and kept the morning interesting.

I lost one Chrome Barbie though, when it got caught on the prop (my bad), so if you find one out there....keep it...it's a good one.

We caught our 18 walleye by 10:15, and they decided to get to the fish cleaners and head home, since they live about 2 1/2 hours from Port Clinton.

Mark and David both said that it was the best day of fishing they've ever had, and that makes me happy.

I said my goodbyes and headed home to cut the grass, plant some flowers and veggies, walk Dexter, and get some food in me. My friend, Jenn, helped me with the gardens, brought her dogs to walk and play with Dexter, and split a pizza with me, for which I'm thankful for! Thanks Jenn!

I had a 2-Day trip scheduled for tomorrow and Friday, but have rescheduled them, due to weather, and my Saturday and Sunday guys rescheduled, due to complications with the virus and traveling here. So, right now, I'm watching the weather forecast for another 2-Day trip scheduled for Monday and Tuesday. We shall see....

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020-mark-david-senter-5_13_2020a-jpg Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020-mark-david-senter-5_13_2020b-jpg Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020-mark-david-senter-5_13_2020c-jpg Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020-mark-david-senter-5_13_2020d-jpg 
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 05-14-2020 at 03:44 AM.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Nice job as always.No weights with those numbers on the bandits 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by ttinman23 View Post
    Nice job as always.No weights with those numbers on the bandits 樂
    No weight. I would tell you if there were.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Juls I so glad to see you're back out on the water! Now we get to read your reports again! Have a good year!

It’s nice to see you back at it captain!

Great job, and glad to see you're back in business Capt Juls!

Saw they opened lic sales to non-residents last Friday, so hoping to make a trip out there yet. May I ask, how long do fish tend to hang around the western basin?

Thanks!
    Bob

Nice job . What Bandits are you using the 200 series or the Deep Walleye 5/8 oz ?

Nice as always Juls! Hoping for some advice. I also run inline offshore boards and am looking to go from 4 to 6. How do you position 6 and then how do you move them with fish on and not get tangled? Thanks!

Juls- Second question- How do you set your springs on tattletail flags for bandits? I have them perfect for small spoons and harnesses. Need more tension for bandits or the flag is always back. Thanks again!

Juls,great to hear that the charters are able to take out paying customers again.Let me take a shot on some of these questions.If somebody posts they are using Bandits,they are almost assuredly deep diver bandits.
    As for how to adjust tension on in line boards,some people use springs and others use a rubber band.We use rubber bands.The rubber band is attached thru a hole in the arm then stretched over leading edge of board and looped over the wire loop that goes thru the flag.To adjust tension, just move the rubber band over that leading edge to adjust tension.With springs,most people have multiple holes on leading edge to adjust tension.The newer flags also have multiple holes to hook spring on to adjust tension.If someone uses springs and can explain better,go ahead,I have not used springs in a long time.
    When running 6 boards,you have 3 on each side.You want longest lead on outside board and shortest on inside board.When bringing in fish on outside or middle board,need to bring rod to opposite side of boat and pull that board past the inside board.When setting out a middle or outside board,attach board and let board drift straight back behind board.When you think proper amount of line is out,lock the spool and board should ride into the desired position.Keep an eye as board moves into position and fine tune that position by adjusting the line length.
    A couple other things causes tangles with boards.If a fish hits a line as another board is drifting past it,that fish can come up in water column and tangle that board moving behind it.Another cause of tangles is making turns too tight.If the boards stall and the line goes slack,that slack line drops down and catches over another boards flag.You may not even notice it happens once the slack is gone.But if you reel in either board,that is when you get the tangle.
    If adding weight to crankbaits,either add weight to all the lines on that side,or just run weight on the inside lines.