Question Question Question Question

Thread: Question

Default Question

Bushman111
    You mentioned out of state license are available May 8, are State Ramps open to out of state fisherman also?
    Can’t find any info on web...regards
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD

The ODNR is in fact starting non-resident license sales tonight at midnight.

ODNR has not been doing any “stay at home” enforcement at the ramps in Ottawa County (Catawba and Muzurics). However, the local County Prosecutor’s office has had a couple local officers at the ramps. They are at a couple ramps when they are there and they are just turning people away. There are plenty of other public ramps and private ramps open and available.

However, the local County has not made any comments as to if they are still doing this or not. It’s kinda messed up if the State (ODNR) opens up fishing license sales, but then a local entity won’t let you use it. Lol

From my understanding, all that can be enforced is that you are supposed to quarantine for 14 days if you come from out of State... so... as long as you have been at your friends house for the past 2 weeks in Ohio then you should be fine.

Or if you go to a private ramp you are good.

You can also rent a slip at a marina for the weekend and put in at that marina and keep your boat in a slip.

Madd Matt,
    Thanks for the clarity. Seems to me that State Ramps are not under County jurisdiction. Law question at best. Wonder what would happen if you launch at state ramp defying local police? I would ask in court for a jury trial, lots of conflicting, local, state, national dialog. Boy as Juls mentioned, it’s maddening!
    LOL, thanks for your informative reply, much appreciated.
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD

I was told that the officers told people that they couldn't physically stop them from launching and going fishing... They just told them that they couldn't promise that their truck and trailer would be there when they got back.

Of course they didn't say that they would tow it... but as far as I know nobody tested them. I have not talked to anyone that was there nor heard of anyone that actually got threatened with arrest or fine. They were more just telling them that they weren't supposed to be there and needed to return home, and everyone complied.

Everyone in local law enforcement has been more than reasonable and courteous. They have been very non-confrontational and approach everything from educating people on social distancing and current orders.

I personally do believe that there are too many legal grey areas and also most of these guys are local and know that the entire economy in Port Clinton and Ottawa County relies heavily on Lake Erie activities and out of State people.

-Matt
    Last edited by Madd Matt; 05-07-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Where was this threating encounter and what law enforcement officers was involved. It's bad enough just getting on the lake without having to put up with what can only be called harassment or worse yet, bullying?
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 05-07-2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: clarity

I don't believe it was threatening at all. In fact I was careful to say that they have all been very cordial and professional and friendly and have way more lenient than what many other areas and States have been dealing with. They have told out of State boaters that unless they have quarantined for 14 days then they are breaking that State order and aren't supposed to be fishing. Then again, I am only going by what I have been told, but I've talked to a few people over the past couple weeks that have been there first hand and launching while this was going on.

By the way, Nice to see and hear from you Dr. Ed. It's been a while.

Just to add a comment, but first, a very cordial and factual discussion, thanks for That. I had two trips planned, mid April and early May, both cancelled, but I did call the Ohio department of health in mid April to make sure I was not going to be breaking any rule. I specifically asked about the 14 day rule and my fact pattern, which was, drive to Ohio, keep boat in slip at marina, stay at a residence at the marina and only leave to go fishing, then leave the state- all in a 7 day window. They told me that there was no problem with me doing that and I was not violating any order. Fishing is an essential activity and is an exception to the 14 day quarantine suggestion, as a result. The only tickets I heard were of breaking the 6’ rule on a boat, non family members, that was in Michigan.