It's been a while but good to see everyone... It's been a while but good to see everyone... It's been a while but good to see everyone... It's been a while but good to see everyone...

Default It's been a while but good to see everyone...

It has been a few years since I have posted. Today I broke the mold, I couldn't hold it in any longer on a certain topic.

I've been a member here for over a decade now and met a few friends and actually have several friends in real life due to this forum. Skipper9 and I talk almost weekly and we go fishing together now. He was a huge contributor and amazing captain. Bowguy, Wakina, and too many others to name developed online relationships where we learned to trust each other and share information.

This forum was the start of me learning to troll and due to people sharing information and being willing to give detailed information and trade secrets I have become quite successful at that! Skipper9 (Jim Allen and Eyehunter Charters) even contacted me and took me out on a learning trip and showed me how to set up and run my boat.

"Reba" (Rumor Has It Charters) has helped me out and I now talk to him regularly. Bowguy and and I are friends and share info and GPS coordinates... The list goes on and on...

10 years ago this forum was the only one that I could find where charter captains were willing to share information that on other sites would be held as "Top Secret" information and never shared. It was because people on this site were so genuine and willing to follow an unspoken code of not broadcasting information as if it was all theirs. If a captain shared his hot spot in here, it never left this site. People wouldn't broadcast the GPS numbers like they had found fish and call in 100 boats. They simply thanked the captains and never told their "buddies" and didn't broadcast it on the water.

There are still many captains and private fishermen like myself that are willing to help. We are willing to share information. We are willing to tell the occasional weekender where to go and catch fish and how with their kids and grandkids and have a great time. What many people get discouraged with is the way the information get broadcast and sent out to facebook and a ton of private texts to everyone's buddies and their buddies and so on and so forth.

If you are new to fishing Lake Erie, or been fishing it your whole life and just need some good numbers to go start fishing, make some friends on here. Don't take a gift and share it on other sites and post it like it's your own. Keep a code of simply being honest and thankful that there are really good fishermen and captains in here that will tell you things that no other captain on the Lake would even consider.... as long as they trust you.

People truly are here to help. We are happy to share. We don't own the water, nor the fish. We have all been exactly where many guys and gals are today with coming to the Lake and not knowing where to start. We would love to help and share, as long as everyone is respectful and can keep a secret.

Have a great year everyone and don't be afraid to ask for help or information!

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    It has been a few years since I have posted. Today I broke the mold, I couldn't hold it in any longer on a certain topic.

I've been a member here for over a decade now and met a few friends and actually have several friends in real life due to this forum. Skipper9 and I talk almost weekly and we go fishing together now. He was a huge contributor and amazing captain. Bowguy, Wakina, and too many others to name developed online relationships where we learned to trust each other and share information.

This forum was the start of me learning to troll and due to people sharing information and being willing to give detailed information and trade secrets I have become quite successful at that! Skipper9 (Jim Allen and Eyehunter Charters) even contacted me and took me out on a learning trip and showed me how to set up and run my boat.

"Reba" (Rumor Has It Charters) has helped me out and I now talk to him regularly. Bowguy and and I are friends and share info and GPS coordinates... The list goes on and on...

10 years ago this forum was the only one that I could find where charter captains were willing to share information that on other sites would be held as "Top Secret" information and never shared. It was because people on this site were so genuine and willing to follow an unspoken code of not broadcasting information as if it was all theirs. If a captain shared his hot spot in here, it never left this site. People wouldn't broadcast the GPS numbers like they had found fish and call in 100 boats. They simply thanked the captains and never told their "buddies" and didn't broadcast it on the water.

There are still many captains and private fishermen like myself that are willing to help. We are willing to share information. We are willing to tell the occasional weekender where to go and catch fish and how with their kids and grandkids and have a great time. What many people get discouraged with is the way the information get broadcast and sent out to facebook and a ton of private texts to everyone's buddies and their buddies and so on and so forth.

If you are new to fishing Lake Erie, or been fishing it your whole life and just need some good numbers to go start fishing, make some friends on here. Don't take a gift and share it on other sites and post it like it's your own. Keep a code of simply being honest and thankful that there are really good fishermen and captains in here that will tell you things that no other captain on the Lake would even consider.... as long as they trust you.

People truly are here to help. We are happy to share. We don't own the water, nor the fish. We have all been exactly where many guys and gals are today with coming to the Lake and not knowing where to start. We would love to help and share, as long as everyone is respectful and can keep a secret.

-Matt
    Well said and welcome back
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Default Thanks

It has been a few years since I have posted. Today I broke the mold, I couldn't hold it in any longer on a certain topic

-Matt
    Thanks Matt, You have inspired me to post as well! Well said, I had as well been a bit turned off by some things posted here, but you are right can’t let a few discourage all of us. Launching from Drawbridge planning to fish tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes!!

Matt,
    Nice to have you back and I thought both of your posts today are well thought out and well written ! Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by saugeye74 View Post
    Thanks Matt, You have inspired me to post as well! Well said, I had as well been a bit turned off by some things posted here, but you are right can’t let a few discourage all of us. Launching from Drawbridge planning to fish tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes!!
    Good luck! Stay safe!

Last weekend was great fishing just East of the Ferry Line between Catawba and South Bass. If you were between the Ferry Line and the red can that is South of Starve Island you couldn’t keep rods in the water. I’ve heard that those fish are still in that area.

There was a visible waterline all around that area to the North and East, but the fish that were biting were in the mud side of the line. On the clear side of the mud line were great marks, but they wouldn’t bite for anything.

Thats a great report Matt. I was out Saturday south of there in the afternoon. Just drifting along the north side of Catawba and Mouse. I had a hunch there would be fish up there, but my crew was feeling beat up with the wind and waves so we stayed South.

My opinion is we don't need to be afraid to post locations as you did. That area is 2 miles long and a mile wide or more. Giving coordinates is crazy but I like that you gave some location and the specific things to look for. Helps us weekenders out tremendously. I don't usually need to know a spot, I try to find out a technique or type of water to look for, then go find it away from others. Part of the fun.

Good luck this year!
    Rickerd

Default Matt

-Matt

Matt, Like you I have long read these threads. As an out of stater, it is hard to get any report. I don't want anyone's hot spot, just general locations or even "They switched from bandits to crawlers." i actually joined just so I could post a thank you for your words. I feel the same with fishing Green Bay in Wisconsin. I live here and alot or all of the forums are just people yelling at eachother and everyone afraid of sharing any useful information. I really appreciate this site and all the members that make it so special!
    Troy