Chefs choice Chefs choice Chefs choice Chefs choice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chefs choice

Default Chefs choice

A couple years ago there was a thread started about your favorite ways to cook walleye. Tonight I layed whole fillets on onion slices on foil. Topped with a little salt n pepper and a little butter. Seal and put on hot grill for 10-12 minutes. While this was cooking I sauteed morels and ramps in butter. Open foil and pour the goodies over top and enjoy. Anyone wish to share some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
    A couple years ago there was a thread started about your favorite ways to cook walleye. Tonight I layed whole fillets on onion slices on foil. Topped with a little salt n pepper and a little butter. Seal and put on hot grill for 10-12 minutes. While this was cooking I sauteed morels and ramps in butter. Open foil and pour the goodies over top and enjoy. Anyone wish to share some ideas.
    Best meal I ever made was similar. Made a "boat" of aluminum foil (sides turned up). Greased with butter, partially precooked a layer of Vidalia onions. Then topped that with seasoned Walleye w/lemon pepper, layer of sliced zucchini, and then a layer of Morels on top of that. Sprinkled grated parmison cheese over everything. Continued grilling till everything done and fish fell apart. Heavenly and ole so rich! Could add some fresh asparagus too!

My family loves fish tacos, so I make them several different ways. The first is beer battered and deep fried, topped with a citrus cole slaw and homemade baja sauce. The second is to marinate in tequila and lime juice the season with Weber's Garlic Jalapeno seasoning. Top those tacos with a homemade mango salsa or just like you would regular beef tacos.

If you're just making walleye as an entree, you can't beat a little lemon pepper and throw it on the grill. Every now and then I'll switch to a blackened or cajun seasoning. Then of course good ole fish n chips with fresh cut fries and a spicy beer batter on the fish. We like to make nuggets with the larger fillets and the kids will usually eat the entire first batch before the second batch is out of the fryer.

Last, we took the wings and baked them. Then we pulled them and made crab cakes that we pan fried. Those were fantastic, just need to be careful when pulling to make sure you get all of the bones.

old recipe foil with real butter then onion slices old bay seasoning garlic powder lemon and bacon strips fresh lemon juice or slices the another piece off foil seal it tight so it puffs up on grill approximately 10 minutes. then serve with home made tarter sauce made with hellmann,s mayo pickle relish fresh lemon juice and just a little mustard to turn color mix well chill and serve. and homemade cole slaw use food processor grate cabbage fine mix with hellmann,s mayo diced fresh tomatoes little sugar and few drops of vinegar to taste and shreded cabbage if desired, and some french fries. also fry fish in drakes and serve with same

We make a foil boat, place walleye fillets in the boat and cover halfway with Mt Dew and cook on the grill till flaky. MMMMMM good

Hot cast iron skillet, butter and Zatarain's blackened seasoning....and ice cold beer!

All of these sound excellent. I am going to try every one of them over the summer. And the cold beer is a given! Thanks and keep em coming!

Default Walleye Cooking

I always bleed my walleye, by pulling some gills and put them in a 5 gallon bucket with erie water to bleed out.
    Then at home, I fillet them out and remove the skin and rib bones, and remove the dark flesh along the back 3/4, and then they get an ice water soaking overnight.
    The next day, they get a good pat dry, and a light breading cover of flour or bread crumbs.
    A pan with some olive oil is then used to brown booth sides and then they go to a baking tray lined with tin foil (and a nonstick spray) to finish baking at 350 until golden brown.
    ~enjoy
    Water Dog
    Last edited by waterdog; 05-07-2020 at 01:04 PM.

The foil, butter and onions is the way to go. Instead of salt and pepper, i was turned on to Himalayan Pink Salt w/ black pepper and garlic. Delicious! A little goes a long way. My dad says to never deep fry Walleye, but I'm going to try the fish tacos and some nuggets as well.

In my opinion the best and easiest way to bleed fish is make a cut with your knife on the bottom side of the fish right up by the gills there is a major blood vessel there and the bleed out in seconds.