Water level rise at dock Water level rise at dock Water level rise at dock Water level rise at dock
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Question Water level rise at dock

I'm looking for some actual measurements of water level rise at West Harbor and the Portage River marina docks any of you may have taken last year or even this year.

I saw it several times last season at the marina I was at, at my dock on the portage river, but I never actually measured it. One day I watched it rise, top out just over the dock, then fall back to where it was. I estimate about 8-10 inches, maybe 12.

I'm looking for a dock in West Harbor or maybe the Portage River again. Some West Harbor marinas the current water level (Sunday - no wind so it was at a 'normal' no wind effect level) is only 5 inches below the ground, or parking / driveway ground. I have to think those areas mostly or completely flood with even a moderate E or NE wind, and there is evidence of this.

Any measurements, info, or advice will be greatly appreciated.

West

We had our first boat on West Harbor from 2006-2011. Out of boating until last year when we purchased our current boat in July. Went back to our old marina and found a good portion of the marina docks covered with water. Ended up on East Harbor at a marina that has all floating docks. No worry about water levels. love the access to Lake Erie thru East Harbor. Suggestion: Floating dock.

B299

Catawba Moorings on west harbor (St Rt 53 N) has floating docks. Info only. Not associated with the Marina.

Anchors Away Marina has floating docks in West Harbor and the closest to the lake which has floating docks is owned by the State of Ohio and is managed my Hoty Enterprises out of Sandusky is East Harbor State Park Marina which is called East Harbor but it actually is located on West Harbor.

I docked towards the south end of West Harbor for the last 4 years. Last year there were quite a few days when the water was several inches deep on the gravel driveways in front of the docks. This would happen with a strong east wind. Not all marinas were affected, depended of course on the level of the driveway. Several of these marinas added stone to the driveways to raise the level.

Saturday the water level at channel grove had to drop about foot water was well into the parking area high enough that without rubber boots your feet would be very very wet.....this was 630isham. By 115pm thevwater was at least6 inches below the retaining wall..........winds were almost nothing early but were building from s as the day went on.

When the water is high the normal tides will be very noticable too....my camper is back the Portage beyond rt 2......several times last season on a bo wind we say a drastic level drop in no wind conditions. Photos from one evening to next morning.
    Water level rise at dock-screenshot_20200505-074015_gallery-jpgWater level rise at dock-screenshot_20200505-074034_gallery-jpg
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

For the next year or two all marinas and operations at or near water level are going to have some issues on some days. The water levels are at all time historic highs and expected to be higher this season. Having said that, there will be days that fixed docks will be slightly under water... While some of those days some floating docks will be okay, most are not designed for these levels either and many floating docks were raising up over their pilings and not usable, many marinas floating docks were at steep inclines because they are fixed at the shore and the docks raise well above the shore causing them to be unusable and at such a steep angle that you couldn't walk up them if you wanted to....

THey both have their pros and cons... in a normal year they both work fine on Lake Erie... in these high water years they can both be problematic.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm on a budget so most of the Marinas and most of the slips in all the West Harbor marinas are not in consideration. I've researched almost all of them, priced them. I've looked at three. I'm aware of everything that's been mentioned so far, including East Harbor State Park Marina. My consideration now is not the dock, whether it's stationary or floating, I've seen and know the difference, pros and cons. I have both a floating and very high stationary option. It's the ground around the dock, the driveways / parking, I'm concerned about. Two of the three possibities the water is only 5 inches from the roadway on a "normal" day. I'm guessing even a moderate North to Easterly wind will flood those roadways, so you'll be walking in water from the vehicle to the dock. That's what I'm trying to get info on. How many of the marinas have a problem with this. Last year I watched the water level go up and down, at times 4-6 inches, several times over the course of a day on a light wind day. It just came up and went back down for no visible reason (no wind speed or direction change). Once it did this over a 30 minute period. Up 3-4 inches then right back down. So I'm trying to find the marina with the highest ground level above the water at the dock. Does this make sense?

There must be other factors going on with water levels in areas like west harbor.Last year saw water level change multiple times in 2 days with virtually no wind.if you are paying for a stationary dock during during this high water level you should be looking elsewhere.Do you really want to walk thru water to your boat with all that shore electricity right next to you.Look for floating docks at a marina and carry your knee high rubber boots with you when fishing.

Not sure of available. ....but the northern isle at channel grove is on higher ground......I dont think it was under water at all last year........but you would have the drive through some to get there
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters