May 3rd Green Island May 3rd Green Island May 3rd Green Island May 3rd Green Island

Default May 3rd Green Island

Got a very late start today as we left the dock about 1:20. I had my 19 year old daughter and 15 year old son with me. My daughter had never fished or caught a walleye before. My neighbor had done well south of Green using Bandits on Saturday, and he texted me that he was doing well today south of Green with purple and Bandit clown. We decided to go over by Green and try. We were about 2 miles south of Green, or just about half way between Mouse Island and Green Island out of the way of the Miller Ferry and the boat traffic coming back from the islands. We dropped our first line in the water at 2:10 and I just attached the board to the line, and my daughter said she had a fish. I said are you sure? A few minutes later we had a nice 20" fish. For the first 45 minutes I could not get more that 2 lines in the water as it was so busy. The fish were not stacked in there, but there were pockets of fish and they kept us busy as I slow getting the fish off, the hooks out of the net, and the cranks set. I am not to good with boards or crankbaits, but I had some good practice today and I got my kids going on how to use the reels, how to attach the boards, and how to read the boards. We were only using four poles as thats all I could manager. Most of the fish we caught were 21", but my daughter did pull a real nice 26" beauty. I ran the few Bandits that I have, and the chrome with blue back and orange belly did will. So did the Reef Runner 800 Purble Nerple and Clown. We fished 30-35 feet of water and set baits at 65-85. Most of the fish came at 65-75 running at 1.5-1.9. Nice calm afternoon to learn how to run boards and crankbaits and teach the kids.

Nice to see the kids getting involved and catching some nice fish. Very good for running 4 rods and not much experience.
    Capt Sam "Porkchop" Downing
    [email protected]
    www.porkchopexpresscharters.com
    www.facebook.com/captwalleye/
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.
    OFFERING 2 TO 6 PERSON CHARTERS FOR WALLEYE AND PERCH

Nice report. Question: did you use any additional weight with your crankbaits? Snap on weights? I am new to trolling with crankbaits.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baha299 View Post
    Nice report. Question: did you use any additional weight with your crankbaits? Snap on weights? I am new to trolling with crankbaits.

thanks
    No we did not use any assisted weights. I thought with the bright sun that the fish would go deeper. I think some fish were higher than we were fishing as at one point, I was setting a line, and we had two fish on so I set the rod that I was setting in the rod holder and the line counter was at 23 feet and the Reef Runner was just running close to the boat. After I got those other two fish off the line for my kids, that line hanging there at 23 feet had a walleye on it!

We fished same area Sunday.Caught our 18 fish in a little over 2hrs.Speed 1.7mph.Knew it was going to be a good day when putting board on second line,the flag pulled down.Thought I had tension wrong on rubber band and started adjusting it,then realized there was a fish on already.Great way to start.We ran 6 inline boards and were very busy with the lines.Lost 5 fish reeling in too.We ran out side boards at 85 and 75 with IB frozen and blue chrome bandits.The middle boards at 65 and 55 with pooh bear chartreuse and chrome Marvin and the inside boards we ran 20/20 and 20/25 with 2oz weight with huff daddy and RC crush bandits.The outside and inside boards caught most of the fish.Average weight was 2.66lbs a fish.Nothing big today.Soon,the spoon bite may start so taking that gear with us from now on.Beautiful weather day,no junk or shorts.Couldn't have been better.

Nice job Bob which side of green and how far off the island if you wish to share. We caught some nice ones north of rattlesnake but green is much closer. Thx