Question about the Sandusky area Question about the Sandusky area Question about the Sandusky area Question about the Sandusky area

Default Question about the Sandusky area

Hi:
    I love this forum!! I know late April is the great jigging time near Davis Besse. Did it last year with great success. But, this year I have access to my own boat which will be at Battery Park Marina in Sandusky with no trailer available.
    Please give me some suggestions as to locations to fish when launching from Sandusky. Should I make the run to Davis Besse? I have read posts about perch also being present near Sandusky in mid/late April. Could that be true?
    Any way-points you are willing to share would be appreciated. Tight Lines to all.
    Marty

I grew up in Sandusky, but oddly enough, never tried fishing out of that
    area at that time of year. I would suggest, before burning all that gas running all the way to Oak Harbor, trying fishing the channel between Cedar Point and Marblehead/Johnsons Island or maybe back by the Edison Bridge. They need to pass through that area in and out of the Sandusky River. Just might work out for you. Never know. I did have a good couple years of pier fishing in downtown Sandusky in the fall/winter, but that was about 12 years ago.

Default Burning Fuel

I would recommend to do this. Find a marina that will rent you a dock for the first few months of the season, several near the besse area do that for a few months. Then on a good day make the run from Sandusky over to that area and keep your boat in that marina. Then just make the car ride and your boat is near the hot spots and in the long run, assuming you fish often, you will be ahead of the game by not burning fuel everyday. If you cant justify the dock, have faith as many of the fish move off the reef and towards the islands as the spring gets later. Good Luck and let me know what you decide.ER