Charter fishing resumes today Charter fishing resumes today Charter fishing resumes today Charter fishing resumes today

Default Charter fishing resumes today

Governor DeWine gave ok for charters to resume taking out customers fishing starting May 1st.He mandated that everyone wear masks and still social distance from each other while fishing.Still waiting for state to begin selling out of state liscences.Suspect that will happen soon since charters depend on out of state customers.

Lake Erie charter fishing to resume in Ohio on Friday with restrictions: Fishing Report - cleveland.com

By
    D'Arcy Egan, special to The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, OHIO — As Ohio begins to open some businesses again, Lake Erie
    fishing guides will be back in operation. The guide operations will be taking customers fishing starting Friday, but only if the guides and their customers diligently follow the COVID-19 protocols mandated by Gov. Mike DeWine.

Those protocols include:

• Require face masks or covering for all clients and customers;
    • Conduct daily health assessments of employees and employers;
    • Maintain good hygiene, social distancing and hand washing
    • Clean and sanitize workplaces often
    • Maintain social distancing practices of 6-feet between people.

“It will be up to the fishing guides to determine how to do this,” said Director Mary Mertz of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. “It will probably mean a reduction in the number of fishermen on boat, in order to maintain social distancing.

“This isn’t a one size fits all rule,” added Mertz. “Business owners will have to analyze their operations and make sure they comply. If a lot of charter captains don’t do that, or if there should be a spike (in COVID-19 positives), we could have to shut down fishing charters for the rest of the summer.”

An Ohio rule that may be lifted soon, said Mertz, is the ban on the sale of non-resident fishing and hunting licenses. Out-of-state anglers and hunters presently can’t buy Ohio licenses. If they already have them, non-residents must self-quarantine for 14 days before fishing or hunting.

“We understand charter fishing will be less profitable when following the protocols,” said Mertz, especially downsizing the number of anglers on a boat to accommodate the social distancing rules. Requiring face masks will be a tenuous rule to enforce, as well."

Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Juls,
    I’m a bit confused. The 14 day quarantine rule. Does that mean your clients have to be in Ohio for 14 days to qualify for your charters? Who can do this?
    Again, I’m from Indiana door to dock in 2 hours. Been in Indiana quarantined for 2 months. I have valid 2020 Ohio license. Can I fish Erie?
    This out of state rule needs to be clarified.
    Thanks Juls....
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD

Quote Originally Posted by Herkimer View Post
    Juls,
    I’m a bit confused. The 14 day quarantine rule. Does that mean your clients have to be in Ohio for 14 days to qualify for your charters? Who can do this?
    Again, I’m from Indiana door to dock in 2 hours. Been in Indiana quarantined for 2 months. I have valid 2020 Ohio license. Can I fish Erie?
    This out of state rule needs to be clarified.
    Thanks Juls....
    Yup...that's what it means. I'm told that they might be lifting that soon though, and will allow the sale of non-resident fishing licenses again too. Fingers crossed!

If you are trailering your rig, then they will most likely turn you away at the ramp right now, due to that quarantine rule, even if you have a valid lic. They have been doing that the past couple of weeks here.

It's a maddening mess....sorry.
    [email protected]

Yes....that was put out today. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing apparently....deep sigh. May 12th now.
    [email protected]

Juls,
    Couldn’t agree more. With Charters depending on out of staters for your business $$$$ (your blog mentions your Wisconsin buddies as an example)
    May 12 means what to Charters? No out of state clients. Truly, a virus infected Ohio resident can show up for Erie fishing with Charters.
    Just do not understand the thinking here. I feel for you and other Charter captains, season is short by calendar. You need and deserve a fair shake here.
    What a mess, politics and fishing. Many politicians have no clue about our sport of fishing. Hang in there Juls, you are one of the best.
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD

Hold the presses.Seams the ODNR reported the wrong date to Plain Dealer and told them May 1st.Hearing now the correct day is May 12th for charters to open.Makes more sense to give them more time to schedule customers and get their boats ready.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Hold the presses.Seams the ODNR reported the wrong date to Plain Dealer and told them May 1st.Hearing now the correct day is May 12th for charters to open.Makes more sense to give them more time to schedule customers and get their boats ready.
    Yep, previous posts state that too.

It doesn't really make more sense to give us "time to schedule customers", since I've had all of May booked since early January. I also had every day in April booked too!

So, I've lost all of April, and now the first twelve days of May...that's 42 trips (weather permitting, of course). Ugh. I don't need more time...I need to work....deep sigh.
    [email protected]