What Water Temperature will start the worm bite? What Water Temperature will start the worm bite? What Water Temperature will start the worm bite? What Water Temperature will start the worm bite?

Default What Water Temperature will start the worm bite?

Started this new thread for input on the worm bite start for the western basin.
    What water temperature starts the worm fun?
    Jigging is fun, but I like the worm bite on my erie deerie the best.
    your thoughts?
    ~Water Dog

Waterdog
    Not sure of temp but we got our limit last Saturday on worms and jigs dragging/bouncing them close to the bottom. Any more than a foot off bottom and they would not touch it. Most of them hit on the slow drop back so if you did not have spider wire you missed the set or lost them on the way up.
    Love your reports
    Stay Safe Everyone

Usually the water temp reaching 50 degrees will switch to the harness/ spoon bite.Happened around May 10th last season.

For me iv always used the 58 degree mark for trolling the smaller spoons and seems the weapon bite is good around the same time

Alright, I’ve asked a lot of questions lately so thanks again for teaching. “Weapons” are spoons or worm harnesses? When talking about fishing Erie Deerie or harnesses, are you fishing any kind of structure? Like 20 ft deep feet off of reefs or something like that? The trend is trolling spoons and casting worms sort of go together on timing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    Started this new thread for input on the worm bite start for the western basin.
    What water temperature starts the worm fun?
    Jigging is fun, but I like the worm bite on my erie deerie the best.
    your thoughts?
    ~Water Dog
    It’s been my experience that as the water starts warming up around 50-52 degrees, the walleye start moving off the reefs. As the water starts getting close to that, I usually tip my hair jig with a piece of night crawler. I know when the walleye are moving when I start catching sheepshead and not walleye around the reefs. That’s when I move off reefs usually in deeper water and start tossing harnesses or weight forward spinner baits tipped with nightcrawler.

one yr many yrs ago we went up around the 1st of may. we tried jig fishing the reefs with no fish. so we started drifting the deeper water just off the reefs with weight forward spinners with worms. the fishing was a bonanza for us. the fish had moved off the reefs but was close to them. thats the only time we went up that early.

To answer your question,weapons are worm harnesses.To your other questions,with the water being colder than 50-52 degrees,people are catching walleye now trolling with crankbaits and casting with hair jigs.When the water warms to that 50-52 degrees,we switch over to trolling with spoons and casting with harnesses.You can catch fish casting onto reefs or in deeper water.If fish hungry,will bite in shallow and deep water.The junk fish and short walleye also start biting when the water warms past that 50 degree mark too.