Fishing Reports? Fishing Reports? Fishing Reports? Fishing Reports?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by liketohuntlovetofish View Post
    Thanks for that. Pretty much the same as all fishing. I think I lack any good experiences to start feeling confident. I’ll keep trying as long as my kids will keep coming up with me. Keep reading and learning... buying different presentations
    liketohuntlovetofish, sadly due to coronavirus, this year doesnt work. Im fishing alone because of it. Fishing has been fabulous, have had limits last 8 days been able to get on water. Usually less than 2 hrs. Fact you want to fish with your kids is great. I'm not expert by any means, nor am I a charter. Would be my pleasure to help you & your kids catch fish. Jig fishing is fun, requires patience usually. I'm not tech savvy, just let me know best way of us to make contact without everyone else getting involved. I rent condo at Green Cove in Oak Harbor for 3 weeks every April. Would love to help you & young ones catch fish next year. would do my heart well.

[QUOTE=liketohuntlovetofish;67860]I understand being in contact with the bottom and how the speed can impact things, but are the walleye on the reefs, off just off the reefs, etc? I’m from Columbus so I come up a few times a year and never feel confident making the right choice for location. I always feel like guys on here are exceptionally successful and share a lot of great info, but not enough for an occasional visitor to get the “two hour limit”. It definitely doesn’t seem as easy as “14 FOW in front of wild wings”. I’m greatful for the info, but feel like I’m missing a lot of something. I mean, I got limits 20 years ago with my grandpa and all we did was float out to the Catawba market bouy... and biologists are saying it’s better today than then, so I’m missing something more than luck.
    Last edited by Prkr314; 04-21-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prkr314 View Post
    There's only 2 things that matter when jigging for walleye...1st there's no such thing as drifting too slow, get your drift speed as slow as possible. 2nd you need to be in slightly stained water, not too muddy or too clean. 3rd you've got to be where the fish are heavily concentrated, when you see boats netting fish after fish jump in right behind their drift...they love that! 4th when all else fails purple will never let you down. 5th gotta keep your jig close to the bottom or you can't snag them...it takes no talent to jig walleye, my 6 year old niece is great at it, 98% are snagged with your stinger hook. 6th if you stop by the fish cleaning station before you leave, oo and ah about someones catch and they'll be so eager to brag about how they got them, they'll tell you everything you need to know. 7th your too late, everybody's starting to catch sheephead and white bass...got maybe another good week of snagging, get your trolling gear ready!
    How about time of day. Is fishing daybreak that important?

How about time of day. Is fishing daybreak that important?
    Absolutely earlier is better
    Last edited by Prkr314; 04-21-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prkr314 View Post
    Absolutely earlier is better. You can catch them all day, but you've got far better odds of getting a 3 man limit in 45 minutes at sunrise. As for location, you can catch them almost anywhere near the reefs, but your looking for the larger concentrations of fish to get a fast limit, there's so many down there that you can feel your jig bumping them on the lift, that's when they get snagged. So when people say there're biting, they really mean the males are on the spawning beds heavy and you can snag 1 every other cast. The reason you want to use a 3/4 or 1 oz purple jig is you need the weight to be tight to the bottom and purple because that's one of the most visible colors at depth. All you doing is repeatedly thumping the bottom in the middle of spawning beds and the males are striking at your jig to say get the f out of here and your snagging them, they're not there to eat, only one thing, blow a load on a pile of eggs. That changes on a day to day thing...sometimes even morning and evening bite moves depending on water color, wind direction, sun, storm fronts. That's why some days you'll see a 1000 boats on the reefs in the morning and half the boats will move to the sandbars off the beach in the afternoon. A lot of time a storm front came threw the night before and muddied up the beach and everybody moves out looking for fish in better colored water, then the wind goes south and the mud settles out and the beach bite gets better.
    Thanks! This is exactly the kind of conversation I was hoping to get into. I make these adjustments all the time fishing in locations I know, so hopefully this helps me adjust better on the big lake. Driving 2 hours to be there at sunrise might be a hard sell for the family trips, but I can talk a few guys into that next April. Is there a favorite water temp range? I’ve been reading between 44-52 online, but based on your last response of it being almost over, seems like Erie may be a little cooler water trend (I was reading a generic walleye fishing article). I know bass on Erie start to catch fire at 50 degrees, so I am hoping this is another piece I can put in play.

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of conversation I was hoping to get into. I make these adjustments all the time fishing in locations I know, so hopefully this helps me adjust better on the big lake. Driving 2 hours to be there at sunrise might be a hard sell for the family trips, but I can talk a few guys into that next April. Is there a favorite water temp range? I’ve been reading between 44-52 online, but based on your last response of it being almost over, seems like Erie may be a little cooler water trend (I was reading a generic walleye fishing article). I know bass on Erie start to catch fire at 50 degrees, so I am hoping this is another piece I can put in play.
    Water temp. is kinda tricky way to judge when to go, because different waves of fish will show up for weeks. Even the next couple weeks you will still catch them jigging, but you'll hear less talk of the 45 minute limit.
    Last edited by Prkr314; 04-21-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Here shortly you will be able to use bandits just off the bottom in the same areas of jigging and get productive numbers too.....as the spawn ends the feeding begins
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 04-22-2020 at 04:58 AM.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

What kind of jigs are you guys using?

Quote Originally Posted by lunker05 View Post
    What kind of jigs are you guys using?
    I use a 3/4 oz bright green hair jig with stinger and tipped with a shiner.
    ~Water Dog

We’ve participated in the jig fishing off turtle creek the past two Saturdays. The first week, were out front at 8 am, but could not get vertical. I had two 18inch trolling socks and got educated on the difference between trolling socks and drift bags. Slowest we could get was .8 to 1.2 mph and all our jigs were 1/2 oz and a couple 3/4 oz jigs. We came home with two fish. The second week, I added a 60 inch trolling sock, and we used 1 oz jigs. Speed was still .6 to .9. For this second trip, I used a Garmin LiveScope. What I observed was even with the 60 inch sock out and one oz jigs, the jig was still 20 ft away from the boat at the point it was contacting bottom. I could see the fish approach and pass my jig. Meanwhile guys on low profile boats around us were killing it. We salvaged the day by trolling. The livescope clearly showed crazy numbers of fish on the bottom and we got them trolling bandits 33-50 back. I have come to the conclusion that you need a drift speed around .3 to .5 to effectively jig and in a higher profile boat, you might need not one, but two 60 inch socks in the 15-20mph winds we had the past two Saturdays. There are enough boats out there that it’s easy to see what the guys who are catching fish are doing and mimic that. I dont think our problem is with the jigging mechanics, I think speed is our issue. I’d say fishing in high winds was culprit if I had not witnessed guys catching fish all over.
    Last edited by dgf2250; 04-26-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Apostrophe not rendering