A chart I can see on-line of western basin cans and bouys A chart I can see on-line of western basin cans and bouys A chart I can see on-line of western basin cans and bouys A chart I can see on-line of western basin cans and bouys
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

A topic near and dear to me. Been working on my own version of this for several years, including some contact with NOAA. Hopefully I'll have it sometime this season.

For now, here's a nice NOAA Office of Coast Survey online (read you don't need an app or device to use it) interactive source for determining distances on Lake Erie charts.

I don't know what the link will say once I post this. Just click on it.
    ArcGIS Web Application

Here are the steps to use:

1.Zoom into the Western Basin of Lake Erie. You may have to do this slowly for the map to load correctly. Zoom in far enough for chart buoys and navigation aids to appear.
    2. Click the "ruler" icon up at the top left of the map (the third one from the left). The "measurement" box appears.
    3. Click the center "ruler" icon at the top left of the box (the center icon).
    4. Click your starting location on the map. A green marker pin appears.
    5. As you move your cursor around the map, the distance is shown in the Measurement Box. Click on another spot, a distance leg is created.
    6. Play around with it to find out how to do other things.

Remember if you are going around islands you need to create legs around it, not through it. :-)

Hope this is useful to you.
    Last edited by West Basin; 04-12-2020 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add content

Default Hey thx a lot everyone and West Basin got getting a masterpiece together.

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    A topic near and dear to me. Been working on my own version of this for several years, including some contact with NOAA. Hopefully I'll have it sometime this season.

For now, here's a nice NOAA Office of Coast Survey online (read you don't need an app or device to use it) interactive source for determining distances on Lake Erie charts.

I don't know what the link will say once I post this. Just click on it.
    ArcGIS Web Application

Here are the steps to use:

1.Zoom into the Western Basin of Lake Erie. You may have to do this slowly for the map to load correctly. Zoom in far enough for chart buoys and navigation aids to appear.
    2. Click the "ruler" icon up at the top left of the map (the third one from the left). The "measurement" box appears.
    3. Click the center "ruler" icon at the top left of the box (the center icon).
    4. Click your starting location on the map. A green marker pin appears.
    5. As you move your cursor around the map, the distance is shown in the Measurement Box. Click on another spot, a distance leg is created.
    6. Play around with it to find out how to do other things.

Remember if you are going around islands you need to create legs around it, not through it. :-)

Hope this is useful to you.
    Hey thx a lot.