Tattletale Flags Tattletale Flags Tattletale Flags Tattletale Flags
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tattletale Flags

Was wondering does anybody know if you can get a stronger spring for the offshore boards used rubber bands once but I ended up dragging fish

Pop one off and go to a good old fashioned hardware store. One or two around me have a drawers full of different ones to pick through. Cheep to grab a couple and see what works best.

I use and like the offshore boards, but I've never had much luck with the flags after many alterations. Iv learned to read the board itself. Sorry not much help just my experience that some fish just swim with board.

I tried all kinds of springs, rubber bands of different length and strengths, etc. I switched to the new flags with the holes in them and they seem to work better for some reason for me. I have the regular springs in the 2nd hole from top on the boards and can get good results with cranks on the lower flag holes a d good results with 40tt by just moving the the spring towards the top of the flags.

I think the new flags are only a few bucks each
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

I run offshore boards with TT flags and have had great luck with spoons and weights, but have not figured out how to make it work with cranks, particularly bandits. Can anyone share their setup or what they change for them? Thanks!

Switched over to rubber bands like 8yrs ago when went on charter that used them for his inline boards.I buy size #33 at OfficeMax.I loop the robberband through a hole in the arm in front of board,then stretch it over front edge then hook it to wire loop on back of board.I originally had trouble with the amount of tension on the flag.Sometimes did not have enough to keep flag up and others too tight to indicate a fish.I experimented with different size/thickness rubber bands and even set them in car to lessen their strength.I finally read a thread somewhere,that a guy would cut a small wedge out of the leading edge of board to run the rubber band through.That way you could move the rubber band forward or backward through that wedge to change tension on the flag.You actually don't need to cut that wedge out.Just push or pull the rubber band to either side of the leading edge to adjust tension.So when initially setting out boards,i will put out a crank or harness/weight with desired lead and attach to board and hold on to board and move the rubber band to get just enough tension to keep flag up.Then I put board in water a short distance from boat and see if flag stays up.Then I will jerk the rod forward to see if flag goes down with that slightly increased weight.If board looking good will set it out in proper position.Will keep an eye on all the boards and move the rubber bands when bringing board in to fine tune them.Even with all that,you will still get small fish not pulling flag down.Sometimes the line pulls through back release and if there is no slack line between releases.the flag will not go down.This happens in rougher water and if board had been out for a while.That is the reason I will wrap my line around my red rear release with pin.My black front release is so tight,it does not slip.And...I use mono.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Was wondering does anybody know if you can get a stronger spring for the offshore boards used rubber bands once but I ended up dragging fish
    You might have gotten a lesser spring if you bought it from a large outfitter to the north of us, who sells the product cheaper than anyone else. If that's the case, the spring you can get at your local hardware store that would be equal to the original spring is, the..."C-39".
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    You might have gotten a lesser spring if you bought it from a large outfitter to the north of us, who sells the product cheaper than anyone else. If that's the case, the spring you can get at your local hardware store that would be equal to the original spring is, the..."C-39".
    Thank you so much for the info hey what do you think about the new flags and do you know where I could get any???

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Thank you so much for the info hey what do you think about the new flags and do you know where I could get any???
    Off Shore Tackle | Official Web Site Replacement Flag and 6/32 Screw
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks for the info. and ItsBob if you ever get the chance post a photo of yours with the rubber bands, will try both that and new springs. Thx!