T Mobile/Sprint service on the lake? T Mobile/Sprint service on the lake? T Mobile/Sprint service on the lake? T Mobile/Sprint service on the lake?

Default T Mobile/Sprint service on the lake?

I know Verizon and AT&T work pretty good in the west end and around the islands. Looking at switching to T Mobile/Sprint. Looking for opinions on their service from anyone that has experience with them while fishing/boating.

Thank you.
    JBD's Regina Marie (Johnny Big Dawg)
    The Regina Marie: 2008 340 Sea Ray with Sportsman Package
    Twin 8.1L Inboards, Autopilot
    Rocket Launchers, Cisco Rod Holders, Scotty Downriggers
    Raymarine w/ Navionics, Radar, Rear TV to duplicate display or watch the game
    Sirius radio usually jamming Margaritaville

I had Sprint Last year and it was spotty, did not seem to get the reception as far offshore as I do with AT&T.

I had Sprint every since smart phones became popular, probably around 2005/2006. I liked it because of the unlimited data. My Mom lived in Swanton and everytime I would visit her I would lose service. I purchased my 1st boat in 2014, I fish out of Meinke's Marina, EVERYTIME we went out anywhere past the Gravel Pit I'd lose service, no phone calls, streaming music or GPS. After my second season 2015, I tried to call Boat US and had no service, thank God My nephew was with me and had Verizon we were able to make the call, everything worked out fine. After that incident, I switched service to Verizon, haven't had a problem since, it's more expensive but out there on the lake reliable service is a must especially if you fish alone.

I have Verizon with the addition of canada and Mexico, I can get service clear out to Canadian line, it is spotty sometimes out there, but more often than not I have it clear out to the weather bouy.

Father in law used to have sprint and once a mile or two offshore it was out of touch
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

I'm in the process of updating my cellular reception map for my mobile on-Lake webcams this season (CharterCam and others). I currently use Verizon but am checking out the competition to see if they offer a better program. I know where most of the equipment towers are located, not just for Verizon. If I remember I'll put a post on here later this spring or summer and let you know the dead zones.

I'll tell you that where and when you get cell phone reception can be real spotty. I've done reception and signal strength tests out on the water and on the islands. You'd be surprised how much difference a few hundred feet can make, as well as the time of day and what day it is (weekend's vs. weekdays). The providers are in the process of completing the phase out of 3G. 3G travels farther than 4G and now 5G. Since you can't put new towers up in the Lake, the 4 and 5 G signals are coming from the same places the 3G did. I expect some areas out far from shore where you used to get reception to fade and you might not get it this year or next. Be prepared for that. I use a signal booster but so far I'm not convinced it makes a big difference (a little, yes). Tests this spring and early summer will determine that.

All you can do is ask the provider for their best source of public accessible data on where their equipment is located. Their "coverage map." It really isn't that accurate, but it will give you a general idea. There are online resources that have more accurate information and coverage maps. Do a search for those. Otherwise all you can do is what you're doing; ask people.

Here's a general rule: A cellular repeater located 100 feet up in the air on the shoreline can "reach" a cellphone on a boat (about 7 feet off the water) up to about 12.5 miles. Cell signals work line-of-sight, generally meaning that your phone has to have a direct line to a tower or receiver. If the receiver is below the horizon, generally you either won't get reception or it will be very weak. Objects like buildings and trees partially block or diminish a signal. Therefore if you are out 12 miles or farther you can expect coverage to either be weak or absent. It depends on the tower you are connected to. So even if there is a tower on shore close to where you are on the lake, if you're out more than 12 miles you have a good chance of losing signal. It's not the signal power / maximum signal distance that determines Lake reception. It's the distance from shore along with the height of the equipment on shore. Even standing up on the fore deck or roof of a boat will increase (slightly) the ability to make a connection.

There are spots on the Lake where 100 feet is the difference between getting a connection and not. You can get reception out 10-12 miles or farther but not get it a quarter mile off shore around the islands.
    Last edited by West Basin; 02-29-2020 at 11:28 AM.

I've had Sprint and Verizon. Sprint was horrible on the Lake, Verizon is way better. The only small problem I had with Verizon was getting the welcome to Canada message and additional charges while in Ohio waters but close to the border. They always took the charges off the bill when I called them. Now we have upgraded our plan and Canadian calls are included so it's not an issue.

Thank you for the very thorough information.
    JBD's Regina Marie (Johnny Big Dawg)
    The Regina Marie: 2008 340 Sea Ray with Sportsman Package
    Twin 8.1L Inboards, Autopilot
    Rocket Launchers, Cisco Rod Holders, Scotty Downriggers
    Raymarine w/ Navionics, Radar, Rear TV to duplicate display or watch the game
    Sirius radio usually jamming Margaritaville