braid vs mono vs floro braid vs mono vs floro braid vs mono vs floro braid vs mono vs floro

Default braid vs mono vs floro

I need to put new line on my trolling rods and have a few questions to those who have experienced the differences and what they prefer. I just started trolling 3 years ago and have been using 10# mono with 17# floro leader. I'm leaning towards braid but afraid of it pulling out of my in lines.
    What brand and size braid would you recommend?
    Should I stay with Mono?
    Should I go with floro?
    Would love to hear opinions and why. Thanks in advance.

Seems like most ppl who use inline boards prefer the thicker lines over the braids.....the clips hold better. I personally use braid on mine.......yes you have to wrap the clips to get it to hold......even the locking style seem to slip without it. I use a releasing spindle type front clip..........Sam's pro release, I think it offshore number or39.

I use the braid because the driver curve are based on the diameter on 10lbs mono......but now I can have a much stronger line. I like it doesnt flot on the surface as others do, plus we use it on our big boards setup on the charters, so on the few days I get to go personal fishing I can take the information from where and how we fished and put it right on my boat, or if I find out something the info transfers to them the same way.........well minus about a 3-5 lead adjustment.

Braid of course is much more expensive, it is less abrasive resistant than say mono.........so if your bottom fishing this is also something to think about
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

thank you for the info. I was concerned with the braid being hard to hold in the clips. I like to run the line deep in behind the clip pin on the back and about half way in on the front so I can pop the line from the front clip so you fight the fish in and not the board, not sure if this would work with the braid. Looks like I will be going back to Mono unless someone else has better idea to achieve the set up I referred to.
    Love this site, most people are so willing to help a guy out. Thanks

I would say the majority of guys that use inline boards use mono in the 10 or 12lb test.Most of the charters and others that use the big boards use braid.You can use hi vis color line for braid or mono.Straight to the lure and will not effect the catch rate.Most guys use braid when fishing with dipsey divers.The most popular brand for dipsey is Power pro 30lb braid in hi vis yellow.I just spooled two reels for a buddy of mine with that same braid last week.I actually use maxima 15lb mono on our rods.I bought a large spool of it several years ago to put on my buddies four new line counters and to respool my rods.The higher test line was decided upon due to my buddy just starting to troll.Was thinking he would get more tangles and nicks on line and would be safer to run the 15lb test.The 15lb test has a slightly thicker diameter line than the dive charts.So our lures will be running slightly higher than the dive charts call for.But all the rods are calibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhawk97 View Post
    I need to put new line on my trolling rods and have a few questions to those who have experienced the differences and what they prefer. I just started trolling 3 years ago and have been using 10# mono with 17# floro leader. I'm leaning towards braid but afraid of it pulling out of my in lines.
    What brand and size braid would you recommend?
    Should I stay with Mono?
    Should I go with floro?
    Would love to hear opinions and why. Thanks in advance.
    I have used #30 Powerpro green. It can slip. If you use the OR16 clips they hold pretty good. If I am using a TT40 I wrap at the clip. But all and all I have gotten used to them. I see OffShore also as the OR30BWW which is even heavyer in tension.

The main reasons I like braid is due to the facts branhamautomotive mentioned. Thin and follows the dive curve well. The other reason I like it is because it is thin in relationship to strength and it lasts and lasts. I like mono because it grips and has a little give to it. , But sunlight, abrasion, time and line thickness/strength relationships are all things that keep me using braid.

My .02
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhawk97 View Post
    thank you for the info. I was concerned with the braid being hard to hold in the clips. I like to run the line deep in behind the clip pin on the back and about half way in on the front so I can pop the line from the front clip so you fight the fish in and not the board, not sure if this would work with the braid. Looks like I will be going back to Mono unless someone else has better idea to achieve the set up I referred to.
    Love this site, most people are so willing to help a guy out. Thanks
    Check out Sam's pro release.

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Horde-.../dp/B07D9X9R8M

Same as offshore tackle. OR-39
    Off Shore Tackle | Official Web Site Off Shore Tackle OR39 Sam's Pro Release by Silver Horde

I use these for that exact reason. Front clip releases, board calls back out of line and no fighting the board..........when dragging the board in it is possable for you to feel tension and pull from the board but the fish be swimming towards the board with slack line causing the fish to get away and you not feel or have a clue why.

The only issue I have found using these releases is for me to have the best chance to cleanly release, I find wrapping them different direction from side to side works best
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Thanks for the links I am going to order a few to test them out.