Article on yellow perch populations Article on yellow perch populations Article on yellow perch populations Article on yellow perch populations
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

It still wonders me a bit how even today, with all the increased (and getting much better) fisheries science, that some folks don't believe the research. They don't believe what the biologists are telling us.

No science is perfect, and conclusions are often time sensitive (meaning they are only good for a short period of time, conditions change and so might the results of future monitoring) and sometimes are later proven either incorrect or only partially correct. It the case here of Lake Erie's yellow perch populations, the fisheries science is there. They are not working with a short timeline of data. They are working with data and trends going back to the 1950's and even earlier. This isn't the first time in fisheries history that catch rates have fallen while the target species population hasn't, or even if it did the decline in catch rates doesn't match. That appears to be the case here. If perch numbers overall are down, that still doesn't entirely explain the huge drop in recreational catch rates. The perch are behaving differently due to environmental changes. If you want to catch yellow perch, at least in the current conditions, you'll have to adapt and find new ways to fish for them.

We may see some shift of yellow perch fishing from late summer and fall to late spring and early summer, as the invertebrate populations haven't increased yet and the perch are left with mostly fish to feed on.

Catch rates and size were very good late oct and early Nov, the netters out in front of huron had alot of issues getting fish as well.

Be interesting to see
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

WB...I am not a doubter of science or data but I do think sometimes the ODNR misleads us in order to maintain sales. The current deer population situation is another prime example. For years we were told the deer population wasn’t dropping and the lack of hunter success was weather or access dependent. Now they have changed bag limits to help increase the heard. But why if that wasn’t the problem?

Well interesting to know fisherman are not catching perch and the commercial netters are not catching perch. However ODNR can find and catch perch to do their studies. Perch fisherman need to follow ODNR around and get some pointers. LOL

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

I thought about the ODNR misleading the public comment. My thought is benefit vs. risk. What, really, would ODW fisheries have to gain by putting out misleading information? The fisherman already are reporting what they are experiencing, so everyone knows that. Same with commercial. So reporting that one cause is likely that the perch have changed feeding habits, based on data collected from public caught and commercial caught perch stomachs, as well as their own research, is only reporting what they have reason to believe is happening. That's not risky as far as Public Relations goes because it's what the data indicates. If they made a decision to mislead the public by overstating the perch population, what happens if that's later found to be false? ODW fisheries takes a big hit. They don't want that. They already have enough issue with people either not believing them or having to counter other misinformation that is always out there. Is it possible? Sure. Is it reasonable to think so? I doubt it.

So you don’t think license sales that support the ODNR would have any factor in what they relate to the public? I’m sure many people will still search for the non existent perch as long as the ODNR says they are still there. Some people only fish for perch. Do you think they would still fish if ODNR says they aren’t there? Sales is a driver above PR. IMO

AMEN to that, the MDNR are doing the same. There is little they can do about the declining perch population, so they pacify anglers up here with increased walleye bag limits and a 13 inch size limit. But still close our spawning rivers for six weeks, so much for trying to decrease walleye numbers to save the perch population, SMH.
    Been watching perch numbers drop steadily for the last 4-5 years in Saginaw bay.
    Firm believer in a broken ecosystem, that's something only God can fix. Before I get piled on I'm not saying that the netters and flying trashcans are not part of the problem. But not the major.

It would be nice to hear from charter captains on this subject. They have extensive experience on lake Erie taking customers on charters often on a daily basis. I would tend to believe those captains who are on the lake making a living taking out customers than a few scientist who are on the lake here and there doing sampling and collecting data. But then again the old adage is follow the MONEY!!!!!!