Struggling Struggling Struggling Struggling
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling

Default Struggling

I just can’t seem to nail down a program in the cold water. I fished 12/26 and 3 of us only caught 3 west of the monument. We tried again yesterday out of Huron and 3 of us only landed 3 walleye. We trolled bandits with weight , without weight and speeds from 1.4 to 1.8 and just couldn’t nail down a program that worked. I know we got a late start because of a battery issue and that didn’t help but still...5 hours and 3 fish wasn’t worth the 5 hour round trip drive.

I do well during the warm weather. What am I doing wrong now?

Thanks, Jim ....eyezcrazy.

Might try going a little slower, Our most productive speed is between 1.1 and 1.3. Not saying you won't catch some going faster.
    Captain Don M.
    B.G./Marblehead

forget the trolling get the ice equipment out and jig em up!

I would say you were trolling too fast.In December the water was a little warmer and could have trolled 1.3-1.6mph,but now with water temps around 34 degrees I would say speed 1.0-1.4mph speeds.You can also trigger bites by making more turns or driving in an S shape.That causes the lures to speed up and slow down.The lures also move up and down in water column and can trigger strikes.With weights,this movement is even more pronounced and can have lures flutter down when the boards literally stall.

I thought we might have been moving to fast but the funny thing is we caught 2 of our fish on the outside turn which would have been even faster. That’s why I was confused.

Sometime in cold water short divers work better but still use weights, it is possable the action of the lures are not what they wanted...... been hearing all kinds of reports out of hurin using P10 with weight from speeds .5 to 1.3
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Well,if catching fish on outside boards making a turn,you are correct that that lure is running faster.I reread some reports on ogf out of huron the past week.Several guys reported they caught their limit going 1.4 -1.6.So you were in the ballpark regarding speed.Most guys were using p10s with weight 25/25 to 35/35 and bandits unassisted 50-95 range.Sometimes the cold water bite with cranks can be frustrating.I went out with the pimplepounder in Dec and we only got 4 fish all day while most caught into the teens.Having extra lines in the water can help figure out the program that is catching that day.Other times you have to move around quite a bit to find an active pod of fish.

Maybe you were fishing a little to deep.
    Like itsbob said, lures run higher the faster you go,
    Are best leads have been 25' with a 2oz 6' in front of lure even thou we are marking fish from the bottom to 20'
    Attached Images Attached Images Struggling-graph-jpg 
    Captain Don M.
    B.G./Marblehead

Quote Originally Posted by Throttles Down View Post
    Maybe you were fishing a little to deep.
    Like itsbob said, lures run higher the faster you go,
    Are best leads have been 25' with a 2oz 6' in front of lure even thou we are marking fish from the bottom to 20'
    I thought lures run deeper the faster you go? I do not have any p10’s but I’ve also heard they have been producing. I didn’t realize you could run 2 oz so close to the lure. I’ll have to give some of these things a try. Slower speed, fish higher and trying to find active pods. Maybe I can give it another try this Monday if the ramps don’t ice up.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I need all the help I can get!

You are correct.The faster you run a diver the deeper they go.That would include a crankbait.A weight does the opposite and raises higher faster you go.Those Smithwick perfect ten (P10) cranks produce well especially when the water is at its coldest.Like now.They run the shallowest and have a more subtle action.Most guys add a 1or 2oz sinker to the P10 but clip them in the middle of the lead.Like 20/20 to 30/30.That means 30ft then clip weight then 30ft more then put on board.If you have the weight clipped or tied inline just 6ft from lure you are netting fish with weight attached to line.Most guys clip weight 20ft or more from lure so can remove weight before they can see or net fish.You will have to look at dive curve to see how deep your lure is running.When you add weight that complicates the depth you are trying to achieve.You can usually add 4ft of extra depth per ounce of weight.But when running really slow,like around 1mph,that depth with weight goes even deeper and can be difficult to predict.Also with this really cold water and slow trolling speeds,causes a lot more missed fish.Pullbacks with no hookups.That's due to lathergic fish and hooks not penetrating at slow speed.