Fishing with Jenn 1/28/20 Fishing with Jenn 1/28/20 Fishing with Jenn 1/28/20 Fishing with Jenn 1/28/20

Default Fishing with Jenn 1/28/20

Headed out this morning at 11:30 from Huron with my friend, Jenn Weiland. She's the "Her" part in "H & H Charters" (His and Hers).

The wind was from the WNW at about 5mph, which put a small chop on the lake's surface. I pointed the Ranger's nose into the waves and drove about 3 miles into them. The Helix was marking fish the entire way, so my hopes were high for a decent bite.

With the Ulterra deployed, and a speed set to 1.2-1.3mph, I set a course for an ESE troll from the WSW side of the Huron Dumping grounds. We started in 37 feet of water and trolled out to 40 feet. Keeping the waves on the port side corner of the stern. That allowed the speed to be controlled easier.

Our program was, Bandits 70-100' back, unassisted, and also 50/24 w/1oz. We narrowed down the program to 70-75 back unassisted with the 50/24 1oz set up too. We went 12 for 14 in just under 3 hours. White bodied bates with green and orange on them seemed to outperform the darker baits today.

The water was a bit stained, but not so bad that you didn't think you could catch something in it. I didn't even look at the water temperature on the Helix, so I don't know exactly what it's reading right now...sorry.

The Huron ramp was wide open with no floating ice anywhere. There was wood debris by the ramp, but it's not that bad either. The water is nasty though and will leave a dirty scum line on your boat.

We are expecting light winds all week, and temps in the mid 30's. The nights will be colder, however, and with light winds, that's a recipe for skim ice at the ramps in the mornings. I have a feeling though, there will be boats going out all week, as the winds look fantastic until Saturday afternoon. Sunday is supposed to start blowing again.

Jenn and I had a good time, and it felt great to be back on the water today. Woot! Woot!

So, if any of you are able to get out there the rest of this week....it will be a pretty good bite all week, I think. Good luck and be safe if you go!

Not sure when I'll be out again.....

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls

Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Jenn 1/28/20-fish-wild-1_28_20img_6898-jpg Fishing with Jenn 1/28/20-fish-wild-1_28_20fbcatyzxqfmp8vflsf5rvq-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Nice, not often do you get to boat fish lake erie in late jan.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Dumb question but are you using a kicker motor and ulterra to steer?

Quote Originally Posted by bdrieck View Post
    Dumb question but are you using a kicker motor and ulterra to steer?
    There are no dumb questions...

Yesterday, it was only the Ulterra. If I'm trolling at higher speeds, like in the summer, when I need to go over power level 5 on the TM, I'll run the kicker for propulsion and keep it in the straight position, and use the Ulterra for steering.

I don't like to go over power level 5, due to the fact that it uses more battery juice if I do. I like to know that I can go 8 hours without worry of losing power.
    [email protected]

Juls.... I love reading your reports, thank you for posting them!

Living in SE WI, I've only been over twice on my own with my smaller boat. This site is great for helping give me and many others something cool to dream about. How cool it would be to have Lake Erie fishing close enough to just run out to when the weather permitted. I read these reports, stare at maps and just look forward to getting back someday. Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    Juls.... I love reading your reports, thank you for posting them!

Living in SE WI, I've only been over twice on my own with my smaller boat. This site is great for helping give me and many others something cool to dream about. How cool it would be to have Lake Erie fishing close enough to just run out to when the weather permitted. I read these reports, stare at maps and just look forward to getting back someday. Thank you again
    I'm glad you enjoy them. Thank you for reading them!
    [email protected]