Question on using Church Stern Planer Question on using Church Stern Planer Question on using Church Stern Planer Question on using Church Stern Planer

Default Question on using Church Stern Planer

Had read some posts by Capt Porkchop that he uses stern planers.Was looking at a few utube videos on how to use the Church Stern Planer.Since we will be able to use more lines this year was looking for options on how to do.Could Capt Sam,or anyone who have any experience with using them, to elaborate on how they use them and warn us of potential problems that could occur with their use.Thanks

We use them with no problems. Just let them out far enough so your other lines don't swing into them when you hook up with the side planers.

I use them often, great way to run additional rods. Just run them back far enough to stay clear of your boards. Same process as running boards, let out your desired lead on your bait then attach the stern planner and run it back. I place them in the top rod holders with the clicker on and the drag very loose so that you can hear it when you get a bite.

I will run 4 to 6 of them this year as follows:
    1) I set all side planers first and if the fish are biting, the stern planers never see the water they are last to be set as they create some extra work with quantity.
    2) I like braid with a fluorocarbon leader for this set up as it is much more sensitive and makes reading the rods easier with these planers. I've found that squeezing the clip once in place helps to keep it where you set it i have also wrapped the line on the clip at higher speeds basically clipping twice. it will work with mono also just a little harder to read.
    2) They work just like a side planer, let out your lead however you feel is needed then clip on the planer. I will not run more than a 50' lead on these without a 2 oz weight as it makes turning very difficult. These do not handle turns like a side planer your turn has to be much wider, one of the downfalls of these planers. I will even reel them up close to the boat if i have to turn too sharp to avoid traffic.
    3) I run two rods at the back corner of the boat straight out the side like a flat line then stand two rods straight up at each corner. this keeps the planers about 8' apart left to right. I stagger the distance away from the boat on far one closer one far one closer creating even more separation. They have to be far enough back that your farthest out side planer will clear underneath with a fish on.
    4) I have a rod holder set up in the center of the stern of the boat so if i need to clear a corner for netting i move the straight up to center and the flat line to straight up to open up the corner for netting. after netting move the rods back, very simple.
    a few things to remember these will intercept fish your boat pushes down that are rising back up. Don't set these lines too deep the fish we mark are often deeper than we are actually catching them. Think how many times we catch fish on our shallow far lines. With the extra lines use them to cover more of the water column to help determine where the fish are biting depth wise. Don't be afraid to set shallow lines. These are also a great option for drop off or contour fishing as you can follow the drop off with your fish finder and drag your baits directly behind the boat but creating some distance away from the boat. it allows better control or exact bait placement for drop off fishing. this works great on shipping channel drop offs and edges of shoals and reefs. It can be done with side planers but we are kind of guessing we are on the drop off rather than actually following it. I have drug 4 of these in a row covering about 6' wide path of water and caught a lot of fish on drop offs in the spring. If you would like to schedule a trip to learn how to run these successfully give me a call and we will get you out on the water with hands on training.
    Capt Sam "Porkchop" Downing
    [email protected]
    www.porkchopexpresscharters.com
    www.facebook.com/captwalleye/
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.
    OFFERING 2 TO 6 PERSON CHARTERS FOR WALLEYE AND PERCH

Thanks Capt Sam for your thorough explanation of those stern planers.Have thought of joining you to do some winter fishing and seeing how you set up to troll.I would assume you use the Church TX 007 size for your boat.Can you run Tru-trip 40s off these planers?Another question is that with the long leads you are running for the stern planers,you have to watch other boats possibly running over your line?